when is a pan test considered good - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: when is a pan test considered good

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    "when is a test pan considered good" ? When you can't lift it lol Sorry I couldn't help it

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
    3311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Not high standards at all, to be productive Bonaro is right, 1/4 gram a day panning is a waste of time if you are trying to make money mining. It is not about standards but experience that determines the the amount of gold you find plus having good ground.
    Clearly it depends on "if your trying to make money" and Clearly the size of the operation and overhead is a huge factor. I was only referring to the part where he said 1/4 ounce with just a pan or sluice. Which Clearly would NOT be a waste of time, or anything close to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    Clearly it depends on "if your trying to make money" and Clearly the size of the operation and overhead is a huge factor. I was only referring to the part where he said 1/4 ounce with just a pan or sluice. Which Clearly would NOT be a waste of time, or anything close to it.
    I know people that “make money” finding whatever gold they can.
    Some days it’s very little or even none. Other days it’s pretty dang good.

“Waste of time” is such a relative term as is “making money”.

Because people’s overhead costs, financial needs, and quality of ground varies...so does the level of effort that is deemed acceptable based on the return. Obviously that varies tremendously with the price of gold and fuel.

I understood the original question to be related to what kind of sample returns justify bringing in heavy equipment in Alaska - not what kind of sample returns make it worth the time to pan and sluice. I.e. it’s multiplied by the quantity of material you can move and or wash and factored against the cost to get setup.

Maybe I am mistaken..I will read again.

I understood what you were saying and do not question your experience or knowledge.
    Last edited by Tesorodeoro; Mar 25, 2021 at 04:50 PM.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
    3311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesorodeoro View Post
    I know people that “make money” finding whatever gold they can.
    Some days it’s very little or even none. Other days it’s pretty dang good.

“Waste of time” is such a relative term as is “making money”.

Because people’s overhead costs, financial needs, and quality of ground varies...so does the level of effort that is deemed acceptable based on the return. Obviously that varies tremendously with the price of gold and fuel.

I understood the original question to be related to what kind of sample returns justify bringing in heavy equipment in Alaska - not what kind of sample returns make it worth the time to pan and sluice. I.e. it’s multiplied by the quantity of material you can move and or wash and factored against the cost to get setup.

Maybe I am mistaken..I will read again.

I understood what you were saying and do not question your experience or knowledge.
    Honestly I was just making a light-hearted joke.. but..

I agree they are talking about determining if the ground is rich enough.for a large operation. How is that even the ?

It all depends on the situation as far as over head. I don't understand the confusion. The more material your op moves the lower quality pay you can run to make it worth while.. in theory. Large operation regularly run 10 bucks a yard dirt...that's a far cry from 1/4 ounce in a day with just a pan...

If you ever had that ground and could scale it up well you'd be filthy rich. Maybe Bonaro didn't mean 1/4 ounce.. idk ..I was just point out that would be crazy rich.
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    2034 times
    Prospecting
    1/4 oz per day with just a pan or you're wasting your time?! Lol those are some high standards Bonaro! Let's change that to 1/4 gram maybe haha
    The OP asked if it was worth it... That depends on what the goal is. If you are just trying to spend the day panning and being outdoors then this is worth it.

If you are trying to turn even the most meager of profits then this spot is dead. A quarter oz is worth about $350 considering impurities. Subtract $75 for fuel, $25 for food plus replacing the shovel you broke and you are down to about $250. Divide that by 10 hours of panning/sluicing, 3 hours of travel time and another 3 hours of cleanup to get just gold in a vial and you are making about $15 bucks an hour. So yeah, 1/4 oz a day... Anything less and you are just messing around and having fun.

He didn't mention heavy equipment, only a 4" dredge. I might dredge this site with a 4" to test for better color and if found, bring in a actual production dredge. but would not consider any heavy equipment without drilling
    Last edited by Bonaro; Mar 26, 2021 at 01:35 AM.
    Clay Diggins and et1955 like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    3311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
    The OP asked if it was worth it... $350 considering impurities. Subtract $75 for fuel, $25 for food plus replacing the shovel you broke and you are down to about $250. Divide that by 10 hours of panning/sluicing, 3 hours of travel time and another 3 hours of cleanup to get just gold in a vial and you are making about $15 bucks an hour. So yeah, 1/4 oz a day... Anything less and you are just messing around and having
    Lol. That's one heck of a "day" trip panning!
    Broken shovel? Lmao...whatever guys..I stand corrected i guess. Smh..
    Goldwasher likes this.

Aug 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    255 times
    Prospecting
    Allan is a nice guy. We are planning to get together for some video later in the year. Yeah, a lot of YouTubers have a "shtick" to help them be unique and memorable. The nice thing about YouTube is that there is no lack of options. There are a lot of very smart people out there creating content, so if you don't like one channel, there are plenty more to watch.

Of course rigs like Allan's this aren't for every ground condition. But in the right location, it might be useful.

Joanne

us
    United States

Jan 2018
    726 times
    3-12 grains of gold per hour of dredging seems pretty dismal. Especially for having to fly equipment in.
    I don’t know anything about the stones.

I’m not familiar with counting colors, nor Alaska gold mining.

Maybe clarify what your goals are?
    Last edited by Tesorodeoro; Mar 26, 2021 at 10:54 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Maybe you need to read his post again, he said 1 to 3 grams dredging for 4 to 5 hours, that is clearly not profitable. Size of operation means nothing without the gold producing ground to support it and make a profit.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    3311 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Maybe you need to read his post again, he said 1 to 3 grams dredging for 4 to 5 hours, that is clearly not profitable. Size of operation means nothing without the gold producing ground to support it and make a profit.
    Smh....

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
    13047 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Smh....
    Lol.. this stuff cracks me up. You're one of the few commenters being realistic.

How dare you..

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
    13047 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If you arent getting a quarter ounce dredging in 4-5 hours. you dragged your gear to the wrong spot.

If your dredging and it isn't because you know you'll hit cracks with several DWT per crack.

You dragged your gear to the wrong spot.

Unless you are doing it for fun...paying to dredge..is not really all that fun to me.

if you can't determin that with a gold pan.

Don't buy a dredge.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    2034 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    If you arent getting a quarter ounce dredging in 4-5 hours. you dragged your gear to the wrong spot.

If your dredging and it isn't because you know you'll hit cracks with several DWT per crack.

You dragged your gear to the wrong spot.

Unless you are doing it for fun...paying to dredge..is not really all that fun to me.

if you can't determin that with a gold pan.

Don't buy a dredge.
    Even if you are getting 1/4 oz in 4-5 hours but you have to hire a helicopter to get gear there, you're still in the wrong spot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links