Hiking boots recommendations?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Hiking boots recommendations?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2020
    California
    42 times
    Prospecting

Hiking boots recommendations?

Hi guys. I'm looking for hiking boots I can use year round in Southern California hiking a few miles AND that can handle being in the river. I want something I can take home, dry out and reuse without getting destroyed too quickly. Flip flips and water shoes aren't great for the hike in and I'd rather not change shoes. Any suggestions?
    et1955, wildminer and Goodyguy like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
    3311 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nothing is harder on boots/shoe's then mining. Getting wet/dry constantly and the uneven sharp rocks/ bedrock surface put lots of twist and torque on them. Personally I go with a cheap pair and just replace ever year or 2. I got my last pair at walmart.com 39.99 including shipping! Surprisingly they are really comfortable.
    minerjosh, Goodyguy and Teris like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

May 2020
    California
    42 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    Nothing is harder on boots/shoe's then mining. Getting wet/dry constantly and the uneven sharp rocks/ bedrock surface put lots of twist and torque on them. Personally I go with a cheap pair and just replace ever year or 2. I got my last pair at walmart.com 39.99 including shipping! Surprisingly they are really comfortable.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was torn on getting an expensive pair of boots or cheaper ones I could replace more frequently.
    mytimetoshine likes this.

us
    Jul 2018
    Mountains of Western Colorado
    Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,Noggin,Do the math.
    2627 times
    I do a lot of hiking the Danner Enduroweave 600 is my favorite but Danner makes plenty of good hiking boots.
    Teris, minerjosh and Oregon Viking like this.
    The mountains have rules. They are harsh rules, but they are there, and if you keep to them you are safe. A mountain is not like humanity. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you, inside your soul.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table, etc.
    6410 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Teris View Post
    Hi guys. I'm looking for hiking boots I can use year round in Southern California hiking a few miles AND that can handle being in the river. I want something I can take home, dry out and reuse without getting destroyed too quickly. Flip flips and water shoes aren't great for the hike in and I'd rather not change shoes. Any suggestions?
    I have had good luck with these budget priced Rothco desert boots..........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desert-Tan-Tactical-Desert-Boots-8-High-Sierra.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	1912460
    They are great for desert/jungle use and are lightweight, cool and comfortable. Haven't tried them in water though.
    They also offer great ankle support have anti slip tread and are ideal for hiking up and down rugged mountain trails.

You can find them on Amazon for $49.99 I have used mine for 2 years now and they are still in great shape!
    https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Desert...s%2C349&sr=8-8

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Mar 23, 2021 at 05:53 PM.

us
    Apr 2017
    California
    GPX4500/Nox800
    346 times
    I'm pretty picky about my boots. There are several good brands. My best advise is to try different ones on and get the ones that feel the best on your feet. I have had good luck with Under Armor, Danner, Merrell and Keen. Gortex Danner hunting boots have given me 3-4 years of use...and I'm pretty hard on my feet. Merrell are very comfortable lightweight waterproof hikers..everyday use I only get 3-4 months tops out of them.
    Teris and davin like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3356 times
    Prospecting
    For your described usage (wet/dry) I would opt for approved military replacement boots. Bates 8" "Seal" boots look good to me for your type of usage. For my own use, desert hiking, I like 8 or 9" side zipper lace up boots. Regular hiking boots are too short and allow weed seeds to attach to exposed sock cuffs.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 23, 2021 at 07:20 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

MAGA

Dec 2015
    Jefferson Coast
    849 times
    Prospecting
    Whatever you choose stay away from airbob soles. They can be very slippery. I broke a leg while wearing a pair.
    Teris likes this.

us
    Nov 2009
    Central Florida
    Fisher CZ5, Coin$, Equinox 800, E-Trac, Safari
    15 times
    Spend the money and buy Danner boots.
    Your feet are the most important thing there is when out and about.
    Without them you're going nowhere.
    Get a few miles out and have trouble with your feet and see what happens.
    You will be saying i should of spent the money.
    Teris likes this.

May 2020
    California
    42 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by detectorcowboy View Post
    Spend the money and buy Danner boots.
    Your feet are the most important thing there is when out and about.
    Without them you're going nowhere.
    Get a few miles out and have trouble with your feet and see what happens.
    You will be saying i should of spent the money.
    Thanks for the advice. Danner has been named a couple of times (I never heard of them before). I'm fine paying for something if it lasts. Will they hold up if they get wet repeatedly?

May 2020
    California
    42 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by wildminer View Post
    Whatever you choose stay away from airbob soles. They can be very slippery. I broke a leg while wearing a pair.
    Definitely something I want to avoid, thanks. The ones I have now are garbage and very slick.
    mytimetoshine and wildminer like this.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1279 times
    Prospecting
    I like the desert army boots like Goodguy posted I'm wearing a pair right now.

May 2020
    California
    42 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    I like the desert army boots like Goodguy posted I'm wearing a pair right now.
    Do you wear them in water?

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 XP Deus
    1677 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey Teris, you said you want boots that you can wear hiking in, then get wet in the river....but then you're going to hike out in wet boots? Maybe I'm not envisioning the right level of immersion in water, but if I went knee-deep in water then any boot would get water-logged, and then hiking out with wet socks would really be uncomfortable.
    Anyway, I'm not sure these boots are what you're looking for, but I absolutely love my Salomon Quest Prime GTX boots. I've had a lot of boots over the years and done a lot of trail hiking/backpacking, and these have held up over the past 3 years. Just a few days ago I slipped off a log and went ankle-deep into a stream, and the boot kept the water out and my socks dry. I like them so much I just bought my son a pair of Salomon Quest 4 GTX (and he now wears the same size as me, so if he doesn't like/wear them then they become mine!).

Good luck with your selection, and sorry if I'm not understanding your use case.
    Teris likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1316 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Teris View Post
    My one and only boot I use are rubber hip waders, here in western Washington you are not far from a water source that you have walk threw. I am able to cross a lot of rivers with them and also they have knee pads witch is very nice when mining. I also buy my boots a size or 2 larger so I can double the socks, the river is always very cold up here.
    delnorter likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links