i hate this dam vacuum

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
Resized_20210401_103308.jpeg Resized_20210401_103314.jpeg i know ive brought this up before,but everytime i use it it reminds me how much it hate it,if you use pump gas and 2 stoke oil, the gas kills all the rubber parts.so i buy tru fuel at 7 dollars a qt.it works ok.the only part of of this vacuum that does not suck ,is the part that is suppose to suck.why do they use a corragated hose,great place to cause a jam. ok now i feel better:laughing7: so would a smaller smooth bore hose work better.i know it wont be as flexble ,but my kinks anyway. any ideas to make this dam thing do it job better,i hate leaving dirt in the bottom of my holes or in cracks after dry washing.
thanks guys the weather is great in the mojave desert, get out there
brad

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe a section of lay flat hose? Probably subject to kinking though thus the reason for flex hose.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I tried the Tru-fuel UNTILL I got the idea to goggle for gas that DON'T have the Ethanol in it . there was only 1 somewhat close to me that sold it at the premium fuel price . CONSIDEABLY CHEAPER than the Tru-fuel !!! Now that this fuel info has gotten around the price has gone up to I think around $7.00 or so a gallon ! Far cheaper by a long shot and it claims it'll last for 2 years and NOT go bad ! I put it in all my equipment that doesn't got used a lot. Now I just leave them empty untill I need to use it. PLUS I turn off the fuel and run them dry and don't add any fuel to them ! It works for me! Your cheap 2 inch ribbed plastic hose needs to be replaced with a better grade of hose that is more durable. you need to contact or goggle where it is ava. close to you ! I did this for my leaf vacuum and got a 20 foot piece cheaper than a stock hose for my vac.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I like VPracing fuel for premix. High octane and 10 year shelf life.
I just put whatever I’m using on the wall, in the fall, full or empty, Come spring 2-3 pulls and everything starts up like it hasn’t sit dormant all winter. It about half the price your talking about.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
what is ava
I tried the Tru-fuel UNTILL I got the idea to goggle for gas that DON'T have the Ethanol in it . there was only 1 somewhat close to me that sold it at the premium fuel price . CONSIDEABLY CHEAPER than the Tru-fuel !!! Now that this fuel info has gotten around the price has gone up to I think around $7.00 or so a gallon ! Far cheaper by a long shot and it claims it'll last for 2 years and NOT go bad ! I put it in all my equipment that doesn't got used a lot. Now I just leave them empty untill I need to use it. PLUS I turn off the fuel and run them dry and don't add any fuel to them ! It works for me! Your cheap 2 inch ribbed plastic hose needs to be replaced with a better grade of hose that is more durable. you need to contact or goggle where it is ava. close to you ! I did this for my leaf vacuum and got a 20 foot piece cheaper than a stock hose for my vac.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farm supply stores often have alcohol free gasoline.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried to find ethanol-free fuel by using the site:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Often, rural areas or places with lots of boating (oops, not the desert...) have a pump for ethanol-free. Around me in MD, it sells for about a 10-15% premium depending on grade, over the ethanol garbage. I use it in all my small 2-strokes, outboards, and my tractor.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
If what you are using is in the pic, then that small crack nozzel is the issue. It is restricting air flow and material is building up in the hose. If you need to use it in cracks, pull it off ocassionaly to give your machine a breather.

Now that your post has moved to gasoline, stop using non ethanol gas. It is premium high octane. Your little engine is not designed for it. I use regular in all my small engines. Suction dredge, chain saw, lawn mower, etc. Come Summer all of these start with one or two pulls.

Lucas.JPG This is what I use. It counteracts the ethanol and is a preservitve.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, ethanol-free gas is available in some areas in more octane grades, including aviation fuel and racing gas, than the ethanol garbage. I have a choice of 87 ethanol free or 90 ethanol free gas at the two stations that sell it. I can test it to make sure it is ethanol free, but I can't test for octane.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know ive brought this up before,but everytime i use it it reminds me how much it hate it,if you use pump gas and 2 stoke oil, the gas kills all the rubber parts.so i buy tru fuel at 7 dollars a qt.it works ok.the only part of of this vacuum that does not suck ,is the part that is suppose to suck.why do they use a corragated hose,great place to cause a jam. ok now i feel better:laughing7: so would a smaller smooth bore hose work better.i know it wont be as flexble ,but my kinks anyway. any ideas to make this dam thing do it job better,i hate leaving dirt in the bottom of my holes or in cracks after dry washing.
thanks guys the weather is great in the mojave desert, get out there
brad

You are right about the weather, 92 degrees in Wickenburg AZ :icon_thumright:
I'm heading down to Wickenburg this Saturday for a club dig with the Mohave Co. Prospectors Association. aka MPA.

Smooth bore hose would reduce the internal friction which would boost the suction but reinforced smooth bore suction hose is not cheap or as flexible and will not come with vacuum fittings.

Lay flat would definitely not work as a suction hose. It's obvious from the photo that you could use a new hose, I would not reduce the size though.

I buy pre mix 2 cycle non ethanol fuel in 2L cans at Wal-Mart. Convenient to store and transport without fumes.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
i think we have a winner.its funny that pressure likes to be necked down.but vacuum is reversed. thanks for pointing that out,i wiil made or buy a bigger nozzel.and a smooth bore hose of the same size.and test it next week.
thanks again for all the feed back guys. brad
If what you are using is in the pic, then that small crack nozzel is the issue. It is restricting air flow and material is building up in the hose. If you need to use it in cracks, pull it off ocassionaly to give your machine a breather.

Now that your post has moved to gasoline, stop using non ethanol gas. It is premium high octane. Your little engine is not designed for it. I use regular in all my small engines. Suction dredge, chain saw, lawn mower, etc. Come Summer all of these start with one or two pulls.

View attachment 1915045 This is what I use. It counteracts the ethanol and is a preservitve.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say...keep your old hose and work with the nozzel. You will be unhappy with smooth bore.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
Resized_20210402_141038.jpeg so i got two of these pvc 90s,i may try to heat one up and flaten it for cracks.3 dollars each
brad

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
so i got two of these pvc 90s,i may try to heat one up and flaten it for cracks.3 dollars each
brad

I was just going to suggest a piece of pvc tubing. I like working with pvc. With a heat gun you could carefully and slowly give it a slight bend and slightly flatten the end for a tip. I made a great hand sucker with a 3" barrel.There some dry vacs out there for prospecting. What do they use for tips? Good luck with your project.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ethanol fuel will eat the rubber parts of less expensive fuel components. I don't worry about it because that process takes time, months of time. Just run all the fuel out of the carb after each use and you should be fine. I dont have ethanol related fuel problems and I have never bought it, just pump gas for me.

Corrugated hose...It worked best for the suction end and anything else will be a PITA to work with. At the end of the day you will have sucked up 20-30 gallons and 1 cup is stuck in the hose...but it is still stuck in the hose. Just shake it out and you got it all

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad,

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to wanting to get the cracks and crevices completely clean and wanting your vacuum to perform at its peak level.
Just like operating a suction dredge nozzle underwater, it helps to not over load the hose which leads to clogs which I'm sure you already know.

What I have found that helps best when vacuuming down against the bedrock or caliche cracks and crevices is to use a stiff brush and/or small dental type pick or modified screwdriver to help loosen up the stubborn material wedged in the tight spaces. Makes sucking up that hard to get material so much easier.

The biggest problem is that we need more suction power than these small gas vacs can deliver. When it comes to vacuuming the heavy gravels, hematite, magnetite, gold, and dense sand found in the desert we need all the suction we can get. When you add a kinked hose with a rough inside surface to the mix it just compounds the problem.

Dredgers would not think of using a corrugated hose because it would decrease performance. The main reason dust vacs use a corrugated hose is for flexibility, and those type vacs are only made to collect dust, lint, hair and small household debris, not the heavy dense gravely material that we are using them exclusively for.

vac!.jpg

I think we are stuck using and replacing as needed the wet or dry vac hose that comes as standard equipment. The flexible dredge hose I have used underwater would never hold up being drug around and over sharp rocks, and the smooth wall suction hose that would hold up is just too stiff. :BangHead:

GG~

Last edited:

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have found a solution to my suction problem , It's not quite as big as Goodguy's 6.5 but I can still carry it , & it will pull appx. 4' high depends on to rock size/shape , I can also use a longer hose 12' and do not have to move it as much.
most Vac's are only about 23-25 cc this one has 46 cc so I do not have to run it so fast to get good results .

King size Vac 003.JPG

King size Vac 006.JPG

King size Vac 008.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread