Say you found a patch and I have...

Keyboardkowboy

Mar 26, 2013
Far nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Makro Nokta gold kruzer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I found a patch with the GPZ 7000 well my cousin did we hit it with detectors and got a lot of gold we get this grey clay or old decaying bedrock where most of the gold came from. Should I dig it out and. Highbank it or what? I brought a few buckets home and found a few nice pickers the detectors missed what would you do? It's going to be a ton of work what do you think?

Upvote 0

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on how bad you want that gold. If you're pulling out pickers, I would be all over it. Take turns digging and detecting. That GPZ should be able to get all the pickers easy. Is there water nearby? you could maybe take a large tank and fill it with water and just pan what you think is gold bearing. Good luck to you.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I found a patch with the GPZ 7000 well my cousin did we hit it with detectors and got a lot of gold we get this grey clay or old decaying bedrock where most of the gold came from. Should I dig it out and. Highbank it or what? I brought a few buckets home and found a few nice pickers the detectors missed what would you do? It's going to be a ton of work what do you think?

Congrats on your find.
Do you suspect that your find is a pocket deposit? I think the character of the gold would help you determine that. Google "hunting for pocket gold deposits in Oregon & California - gold rush nuggets" That article may pertain to what you have found and....you go from there.

Good luck.

Last edited:

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 7000 will miss the small nuggets. Go through the dirt another time with a gold monster or a gold bug. Or put all the dirt you can shovel in the highbanker. The 7000 can be troublesome in trash and with small stuff. Little " ribbon veins" can be overlooked by the 7000 as well. Post pics too.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"It's going to be a ton of work what do you think?"
That's the kind of work I always enjoyed...decomposed bedrock. Always nice pickers and smiles all day long.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you found what is called a seam. it is worth digging all of the clay in it.

try to get your hands on an sdc2300 it will snif out the small stuff.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YES!!!! Dig man, dig.
Like Shunkaha said, If you can take a recirc system with you, go for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread