Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Am completing a mill site claim (5 acres) on BLM land but have a few questions.

Can access roads be blocked to prevent intrusion onto the mill site? How long can one camp at a mill site if providing say security?

Again the mill site is happening. Give me some pointers.

Thanks.

Chuck

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Chuck on Public Land managed by any gubermint agency you only have the rights to the minerals . It is still public land owned by all Americans and they can walk /camp on this land without your permission BUT you can and must block off any equipment or dangerous hazards where these people might get hurt. And security is and can be a real problem if you or someone isn't there to prevent any theft or snoopy people from stealing / climbing on / damaging , or just getting hurt ,so I think you and anyone that's listed on the claim or working for you have the right for 24/7 access . Signs are a big deal to notify people to stay off and clear of dangerous obstacles / equipment / ETC. Barry can correct me if I'm wrong on any part of this ! BUT I think I'm correct on this. GOOD LUCK on your site !!

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck on Public Land managed by any gubermint agency you only have the rights to the minerals . It is still public land owned by all Americans and they can walk /camp on this land without your permission BUT you can and must block off any equipment or dangerous hazards where these people might get hurt. And security is and can be a real problem if you or someone isn't there to prevent any theft or snoopy people from stealing / climbing on / damaging , or just getting hurt ,so I think you and anyone that's listed on the claim or working for you have the right for 24/7 access . Signs are a big deal to notify people to stay off and clear of dangerous obstacles / equipment / ETC. Barry can correct me if I'm wrong on any part of this ! BUT I think I'm correct on this. GOOD LUCK on your site !!

Russ, mill sites are a different animal in relation to minerals. There is no discovery required for mill sites.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please keep posting on this issue guys. I am at the mill site every day. We have water in the high desert. Filled two retention ponds. Lots of fresh cold water.

Lots of material out there. Again please keep posting tips and tricks.

Chuck

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is a Mill Site on BLM land that is aliquot need to be defined in relation to the aliquot or metes and bounds?

From the BLM:

"Descriptions are by metes and bounds if on unsurveyed land and by legal subdivision if on surveyed lands. The maximum size is 5 acres."

I always get stuck with "unsurveyed land". Also can I just mark the corners like a lode claim and define those corners by metes and bounds on the map filed with the COL?

Thanks.

Chuck

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's a Lode claim it must be described by Metes and Bounds no matter where it is located.

If it's a Mill Site or Placer claim in an Aliquot describe it by aliquot part.

If it's a Tunnelsite claim describe it by starting point and bounds (compass bearing).

If it's in, or partially in, a Government Lot always describe all claim types by metes and bounds.

If there is no survey or protracted survey describe all claims by metes and bounds tied to a permanent object or feature.

That's the basic description requirements for the four types of claims.

How to write those descriptions is a more complex subject. There are good guides available the best and most accurate being the official Cadastral Survey standards guide:
Specifications for Descriptions of Land
It's a free download at Land Matters and it's got some good graphics and examples. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's a Lode claim it must be described by Metes and Bounds no matter where it is located.

If it's a Mill Site or Placer claim in an Aliquot describe it by aliquot part.

If it's a Tunnelsite claim describe it by starting point and bounds (compass bearing).

If it's in, or partially in, a Government Lot always describe all claim types by metes and bounds.

If there is no survey or protracted survey describe all claims by metes and bounds tied to a permanent object or feature.

That's the basic description requirements for the four types of claims.

How to write those descriptions is a more complex subject. There are good guides available the best and most accurate being the official Cadastral Survey standards guide:
Specifications for Descriptions of Land
It's a free download at Land Matters and it's got some good graphics and examples. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OK but what if the Mill Site is in different parts of the aliquot? Hard to define a 5-acre mill site this way can I instead just use metes/bounds?

Thanks. If I appear thick-headed it is because I am.

Chuck

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK but what if the Mill Site is in different parts of the aliquot? Hard to define a 5-acre mill site this way can I instead just use metes/bounds?

Thanks. If I appear thick-headed it is because I am.

Chuck
If the Mill Site is in an aliquot it must be located by aliquot part. Metes and Bounds can not a provide a proper legal land description when Mill Sites or Placer claims are located in a surveyed aliquot.

It's not that hard to provide an aliquot part description for 5 acres. Aliquot parts can be described down to the 2.5 acre level. Here's an example from the Specifications for Descriptions of Land I linked to above.
As a policy (Survey Manual sections 3-33 and 9-90), land descriptions by aliquot part must not go beyond a four component description. For example, a 5-acre unit described as the S1/2,NE1/4,NW1/4,SE1/4 is acceptable, as is a 2½-acre unit described as the SE1/4,NE1/4,NE1/4,SW1/4. Aliquot parts of 1¼-acre or less described with five components or more, e.g., W1/2SE1/4NE1/4SW1/4SE1/4, are unacceptable.

Divide an aliquot quarter section into 4 equal areas and the resulting quarter quarters are always 40 acres. Quarter the resulting quarter quarter and you have quarter quarter quarters of 10 acres. Quarter that 10 acres and you have 4 - 2.5 acre quarter quarter quarter quarters. Just remember that a comma in the legal land description means "of the" and it will be much easier to understand.

Clear as mud? :icon_scratch:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay you make a lot of sense. Am having a meeting today with the BLM on some other issues. Plan stuff. Am looking forward to talking to these guys. They are sharp but not Clay Diggins sharp!

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions