The perfect digger?

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. So clearly given different soils, rocks sands
whatever some results may vary but what is your preferred tool?

Sure a shovel is a great digging tool but not really worth the damn in hard pack or cobbles. Pick axe is an animal but weighs a ton and the short handle keeps you bent over. Hookers work well but lack in any real power..

So if a guy wants to keep from packing around 2-3 digging tools what do you feel is best all around digger.

I personally own about every shape of digger you can imagine so I’m not looking to buy anything. Just curious what you guys prefer.

59EE5456-5F75-4C7D-A7EB-0647EB6CF2C1.jpeg

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steam shovel.....oops that dates me so excavator he says tongue in cheek.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooo does the broken bobcat in my yard count? Maybe the legs hanging out of it are the problem?

Attachments

• 44573B95-F6A0-42CB-8A2E-31959EC5E5DB.jpeg
    44573B95-F6A0-42CB-8A2E-31959EC5E5DB.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 81

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On a more serious note, the estwing geo/paleo pick has been handy for me.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An 18" handled Badger Pick. Can't shovel with it, but it'll sure open up a hole..

Badger1mag-01.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no one digger that fits all situations.
But for digging underwater and small deep holes in medium soil I prefer my homemade shovel modeled after an excavator bucket. :icon_thumleft:

scoop1.jpg

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For relics I use a landscapers pick/adze, short handle, but mine is cast iron, so won't take a lot of beating. Get steel head instead....!

For lawns I use PETA EASI-GRIP, attached - see, you can get that crutch/orthotic thing is optional....
There is another handle design, too. The leverage of the digger, lifts my trapdoor plugs, wide open...! :icon_thumright:
petaEasiGrip.JPG otherpeta.JPG
(portion in red is what I use) (other handle design at right)

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What the heck is that pic, the underside of someones tongue ?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An 18" handled Badger Pick. Can't shovel with it, but it'll sure open up a hole..

View attachment 1924607

Like the business end of that, but prefer another magnet and an oblong hickory handle.

Made the mistake of buying something similar with a foam covered fiberglass handle…most dangerous awkward tool ever!! Foam cover slips when it’s wet and it tends to not stay aligned in the hand very well because it’s round.
It was a waste of $50!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like the business end of that, but prefer another magnet and an oblong hickory handle.

Made the mistake of buying something similar with a foam covered fiberglass handle…most dangerous awkward tool ever!! Foam cover slips when it’s wet and it tends to not stay aligned in the hand very well because it’s round.
It was a waste of $50!

Yeah, the wooden handle is best. I covered mine with Friction Tape, for slippery situations - quite comfortable digging.
And, the pick can pull branches, sticks and needles aside, from dig site.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the correction. You are absolutely correct. I knew that however somehow originally typed it incorrectly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread