Baker Oregon- where to pan?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a deal on an all expense paid trip to Oregon, meaning I pay all my own expenses. :laughing7:

Anyways, I will be in the Baker OR area and I am bringing minimal prospecting equipment. I located this pamphlet showing some campgrounds that are open to tourists.

https://www.oregongeology.org/milo/...ne/OregonsHeritageRecreationalGoldPanning.pdf

So, it looks like there are three or four areas I could try out but I only got maybe one day (assuming other projects go off without a hitch). Has any one here panned in the Baker area state campgrounds and if so could you recommend which campground I should try?

Also, are sluice boxes permitted?

Any help or tips, guidelines or rules to follow will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a deal on an all expense paid trip to Oregon, meaning I pay all my own expenses. :laughing7:

Anyways, I will be in the Baker OR area and I am bringing minimal prospecting equipment. I located this pamphlet showing some campgrounds that are open to tourists.

https://www.oregongeology.org/milo/...ne/OregonsHeritageRecreationalGoldPanning.pdf

So, it looks like there are three or four areas I could try out but I only got maybe one day (assuming other projects go off without a hitch). Has any one here panned in the Baker area state campgrounds and if so could you recommend which campground I should try?

Also, are sluice boxes permitted?

Any help or tips, guidelines or rules to follow will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My dad always told me that “anyways” is not a word.

With that said…sounds like a good trip. Your heading the right direction (literally).

You did leave out when your going.

EDIT: Don’t want to highjack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Viking, I located that same link in an old post from Reed Lukens.

I should be there around last week of May, first week of June or so. Will the rivers might be high with runoff?

So, there are four State campgrounds near Baker that allow panning according to the pamphlet I linked in the first post. It looks like Antlers campground is on the Burnt river? Is that right?

I'm not looking for an "X", just looking for a location to sluice and pan without a claim

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those for campgrounds are separated by many miles between them. The three campgrounds in the Sumpter, OR area are closer to each other. Do like the last page of the first pamphlet suggests on the bottom of page three and go to the local Baker City offices or the USFS of BLM and pick up information there about local panning areas and talk to a ranger there who will give you better information and directions. Better that than waste a day traveling between campgrounds separated by miles. In early June the waters will still be fairly high and swift in the mountains. Good Luck! Let us know how your trip and panning turn out!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those four campgrounds are separated by many miles between them. The three campgrounds in the Sumpter, OR area are closer to each other. Do like the last page of the first pamphlet suggests on the bottom of page three and go to the local Baker City office of the USFS of BLM and pick up information there about local panning areas and talk to a ranger there who will give you better information and directions. Better that than waste a day traveling between campgrounds separated by miles. In early June the waters will still be fairly high and swift in the mountains. Good Luck Let us know how your trip and panning turn out!

Sorry for the double post... tried to correct some mistakes and ended up double posting! :dontknow:

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stop in at the LDMA Blue Bucket camp between Huntington and Baker City, they can put you on some gold right away and they're right off of the highway. Or you can travel up to their Burnt River camp, where there's some more great spots. There's lots of paying GPAA Claims on Burnt River. If you're going to be in a car, it's mostly gravel roads, but a trip up to Sumpter to the old Sumpter Gold Dredge State Park is a great place also :)

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please tell me more about the Lost Dutchman Mining Association.

I saw a couple video of theirs. One was about a collective group effort dig on the burnt river claim. It was interesting to say the least.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread