Unusual Mining Year in California

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi TNet People

I just got back from another "weekend-warrior" trip and couldn't help but notice the low & really warm water. The spring runoff (if you want to call it that) was short and unexciting this year in all of the Central/ Northern Sierra Nevada Mountain watershed.

But with each unique mining season comes opportunities. Hindsight is 20/20 & I look back at my first years mining amidst the last historic California drought back in 2014 regretting not making better use of the low water earlier in the season.

Here's my thoughts for the summer of 2021 in Northern California:
1. The time to snipe is NOW - Given how warm & low the rivers are, they will likely be covered in algae in a couple months making it near impossible to work under the water in areas the water is not flowing good. I usually start sniping in the beginning of July..this year I better get in the water earlier if I want to see anything (you wont find gold if you cant see).
2. I anticipate another out of control fire season. Things are dry as can be & that being said - the time to get out is NOW. Hiking/ Camping/ pretty much anything is just crappier when you're dealing with thick smoke. Get it in while the sky is still blue.
3. There's still a ton of people out in the mountains amidst the pandemic. I'm staying away from the popular areas until the winter time - I don't like crowds.

That's about all I got :dontknow: Does anyone else have any interesting ideas or predictions for this year in California or your local area? HEAVY PANS!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watch yourself if there is a fire even within 20 miles. Those things can move fast.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, and when you do head out into the woods, go even better prepared than usual; gas, more food, water and batteries, etc etc....and MAPS...! You'll thank me, when you get cut off, from a road closed due a fire, and have to find your way home some other way...!
Anyway, yes, this should be a great year placer mining...!

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably not this year but next year we should meet up on my claim on the North Fork of the Salmon river near Sawyers Bar, it is a very rich area for gold and history, great place for sniping , working hard to get a camper van, you might want to study the area, it is very fascinating, the old historic name for my claim is " Flap Jack Bar " Check out the history of " Eddy Gulch " my claim borders it. Ed

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If it's that good ,someone is probably already there dredging it and ripping you off of your claim ! I've seen it happen while we were camping on a friends claim in Colorado, a guy just pulled up and got his HI banker out and walked it all down to the stream and started shoveling (even with the "yellow claim marker" signs posted in many locations. And not 80 -100 feet from our camp! I informed the claim owner about this guy and my friend went over to talk with him.....as it turns out he thought (???) he was on a gpaa claim . that claim was about a miles down the road and clearly marked also. My friend told him where he was and that he is the claim owner BUT he could stay and hi bank for that day ONLY .... I'm sure that many people camp right where we were and work his claim when he's NOT there. There's only so much you can do when someone isn't there watching !

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
115 here it's just a wee bit brutal, are real jobs require Workin as long as one can take it in this crap, no work no paycheck, same with minin no work no gold.

Sometimes it's work and still no gold...

At least you northern placer miners can get wet, gonna be a long hot one stay hydrated.
Hopefully we don't get the 2 months of smoke this year ...
Gt ....

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this the worst summer for California? Those of you who've been prospecting before, have you ever seen it this bad back in the 20th century?

Not sure I would call it bad -- we had a good one in 1976–1977 but I was not into mining then.
Rivers are low - clean those cracks.
Gulches are dry -great for dry washing.
It's 105 outside as I type this at 4:30 PM so no mining for me today.
Cheers Mike

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I would call it bad -- we had a good one in 1976–1977 but I was not into mining then.
Rivers are low - clean those cracks.
Gulches are dry -great for dry washing.
It's 105 outside as I type this at 4:30 PM so no mining for me today.
Cheers Mike

It's 110F right now and will be here for the next several days. Jesus, I've never seen it this hot before so early in June!

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel for you guys, it has been one of wettest Junes in 25 years up here In Western Washington state, it was a very hot 74 degrees today, lol but we may hit 90 next week. Stay Cool.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heading to 115 here , unfortunately it is a humid heat, record breaking time up here.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this the worst summer for California? Those of you who've been prospecting before, have you ever seen it this bad back in the 20th century?

For this prospector I've noticed water holes dryed up, spring animals were born and died from nothing to eat or drink.
Cactus are dying? Only critters left out here are rats they are eating what's left of the green life.
This is just my desert area its probably normal for the rest of you in California.

Gt ....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread