Beginner headed to Fairbanks, AK!

jekyllman

Jul 4, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two brothers-in-law and I bought tickets on a whim to Fairbanks next week as it was irresistibly cheap. We're excited but curious on what to do up there. I've been doing some gold panning here in Idaho but there's not much around this side of the state so it's been slim picking. Needless to say, I'm really excited to head up to Alaska and see if I can actually get a little flash in the pan!

I've googled some stuff but mostly only getting info on places you have to pay to go to. I'd love if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere that we could spend a couple hours while we're up there! Or, if anyone has a minute to show us around that would be phenomenal!!

Hope all is well and thanks in advance

Upvote 0

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can pan any time of the year, but there are claims on almost all of the gold bearing creeks within 30 miles or so of fairbanks. Outside of that range, the creeks are mostly claimed, but you may be able to find a lapsed claim or a partial section that hasn't been claimed you could pan on. Definitely do research because people are very possessive of their claims there. Kevinincolorado did ok at the Pedro's dredge public panning spot, I went twice and didn't share the same success. Our best luck around fairbanks was bachelor creek, which is 67 miles on the stress highway and 5 or 6 miles of rough trail in. You can drive, but definitely need a 4x4 beater truck because the alders grow into the road and there are some spots where you would get highcentered and stuck if you don't have good clearance.

P.S. This was typed on a phone and autocorrect is not always helping me, so spelling may be bad.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If you get around University of Fairbanks try to look up Dr. Jim Madonna ( he was the Geology Professor at U.Of Alaska for many moons ! sister used to own the mining store up there and when I was there we dropped in and low and behold he was there minding her store while she was out.. He had a VERY GOOD book out and for sale. it was named "Mineral Identification " It had a blue cover and guided you through DRUM ROLE PLEASE..................Mineral identification short cuts to know what that rock /mineral is ! For me it was worth the purchase price ! I assume you have your transportation lined up BUT if not you can call for a cab for a ride............BUT be on the lookout for a pickup truck to be that cab and he will surely have a gold pan on the dash and a shovel somewhere close ! GOOD LUCK on your trip!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jekyllman

Jul 4, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! We're excited just to get up there and see it. I've been trying to read up on things and scan the interactive map for where claims are and aren't. I read that Pioneer Park allows some panning but I have a hard time believing that there's going to be much coming out of that spot on the river...correct me if I'm wrong here.

We are headed from Fairbanks to Denali so if there's anyone that has any tips for a spot to pull off between those two places that would also be great!

Feb 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two brothers-in-law and I bought tickets on a whim to Fairbanks next week as it was irresistibly cheap. We're excited but curious on what to do up there. I've been doing some gold panning here in Idaho but there's not much around this side of the state so it's been slim picking. Needless to say, I'm really excited to head up to Alaska and see if I can actually get a little flash in the pan!

I've googled some stuff but mostly only getting info on places you have to pay to go to. I'd love if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere that we could spend a couple hours while we're up there! Or, if anyone has a minute to show us around that would be phenomenal!!

Hope all is well and thanks in advance

Were you guys the ones that put up the craigslist ad for filming?
I was all for it! I love filming adventures, not to mention getting the opportunity to do some gold panning in the off time. I hope you all had fun!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i think you can only drive 13 miles in to denali. you could only go past that on a tour bus,ck it out before you go.
brad

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i think you can only drive 13 miles in to denali. you could only go past that on a tour bus,ck it out before you go.
brad
They have a permit system for private vehicles. However, I believe it is a drawing and you have to apply a year before. I personally haven't panned on the streams toward Denali, but just check for claims. I believe there is a 1/4 mile buffer along the highway for public panning, but that is just what I've heard. I never checked that as I haven't been down that way for panning. Most or all of the streams should have at least a little bit of gold though.

OP
OP
J

jekyllman

Jul 4, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you guys the ones that put up the craigslist ad for filming?
I was all for it! I love filming adventures, not to mention getting the opportunity to do some gold panning in the off time. I hope you all had fun!

No that wasn't us! Sounds cool though. We're just thinking of spending a few hours one day seeing if we can't find a little in the bottom of our pans.

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No that wasn't us! Sounds cool though. We're just thinking of spending a few hours one day seeing if we can't find a little in the bottom of our pans.
If you want to be comfortable, waders and neoprene gloves will be good to have. The water by Denali is mostly or all snowmelt so it is bitter cold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, I did well at Claim #1, Pedro’s discovery claim. It is owned by the city of Fairbanks and is free. We also stayed there a night in our RV!

prospecting tip: dig a big hole to find pickers like I did. Then fill it all in of course so the tourists don’t hurt themselves as they try to take a selfie ��

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread