Sluicing or high banking in the desert without a dry washer

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everyone is always telling me if I plan on going to Nevada, I had better get a dry washer. I'm sort of retired... dry washing sounds a lot like hard work, gives us poor returns on investment and time, way below minimum wage. So why do it?? I have to admit that for the most part the nay sayers could almost be right...almost. Viewing the google earth desert areas, I found that the US government funded and constructed thousands of miles of waterway canals/conduits throughout the desert sw to help "farmers"(corporate entities) grow tree nuts in the desert. Well the tree nut "corporate farmers" require about 1,900 gallons of water to produce a pound of almonds. They've already succeeded in sucking dry Lake Meade and other water sources to the point of exhausting the water sources altogether. 35% of capacity is not even a half full glass.

We all know that once something gets californicated, rarely does it return to what it was before. Suction dredging in CA is dead as it is legislated, but what if you were in the middle of the Nevada or Arizona desert next to a canal using that as a water source to highbank placer from an area adjacent to the canal. You are not violating the law unless cited and tried. AZ or NV could care less about CA becoming a dried prune. In one hour, you would be using water that would produce a pound of almonds.

Please note that you're in NV or AZ, not CA. I would also suggest that you not return any discharge into the canal where you would be "polluting" or creating turbidity in the canal water. What will they do? Take away your birthday? Charge you with petty water theft (a misdemeanor that's a ticket). The water in these canals are clean enough to drink. Mind you, I am NOT encouraging anyone to violate the "law", perhaps I'm encouraging us to use our own resources, created with our money, not some non tax paying corporate farmer. Let's face it... what are the odds of someone coming along and recognizing what you are doing? Buy a T-Shirt with "Mercury Mitigation Orginization" imprinted on it, and cheap business cards to match the shirt.

attachment.php
canal image in AZ

Attachments

• waterCanal.JPG
    waterCanal.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like your way of thinking it would be stealing.
I don't like thieves.
If you steal less than $950 In California it's a misdemeanor and you out on the streets or desert the next day.
There's no accountability and leads to career criminals.
I don't have the answers but would be in favor of my tax dollars being used to build more prisons.
Cheers Mike

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[FONT=&quot]ncclaymaker[/FONT] it is becoming clear you have no experience prospecting or placer mining in the desert. You seem unwilling to take advice from folks that do. What is your end game? Many of us grew up prospecting and placer mining in Arizona and Nevada. When we say you need a drywasher we are trying to help you. Drywashing is no more labor intensive than highbanking, and just as efficacious. If you get caught messing with that canal you will lose your machine, your vehicle, and your freedom. They are patrolled by air, and your legal fee's will be outrageous.

I hope you can try and be more open to some good advice. The desert is a dangerous place, even during the winter months. I truly wish you the best, and hope you find big gold on your adventure.:icon_thumleft:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How many good folks have any idea what CAP, ADWR, AMA and ADQ are? Getting water from canals do not require a phD., does require a small bit of cash for permits and applications, etc. Once a permit is issued, the physical location can be easily be amended for pocket change... as long as the basic parameters were pretty much the same . I think I'll keep my high banker, while dry washing gives others silicosis and other respiratory diseases. It may take a month or so to get the paperwork, but once permitted...

I believe that I'll prospect along the CAP and high-bank where the ground warrants it... with all the water I'll ever need. I'll bring along a few small almond trees to use the unrecyclable water.

The people that I had spoken to in AZ government were professional in demeanor, facts were easy to ascertain, and they were ready and willing to aid me in obtaining the required permits. For the life of me, I cannot understand why AZ miners haven't banded together to get the permits required. The water is there!!!

BTW - I lived for some time in Casa Grande and I'm no stranger to the desert, but not an expert. BS usually can go around the world ten times... before truth even gets on its' shoes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NCclaymaker, please keep politics out of your posts per our rules.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stumbled onto this guy on another post the other day and the vibe I got was he's got it all figured out no matter what anybody says......let him run with it.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure I will get a sane answer but how the heck is drywashing more work than highbanking?!

My puffer weighs less than my highbanker, it is battery powered will run longer than I care to dig on a motorcycle battery and gets good fine recovery. I can plop it anywhere just so long as the dirt is dry and go to town, also it is setup to run hand crank if necessary.

My highbanker is limited by length of hose and pump power as to where I can work also the footvalve/intake hose, pump, pressure hose, can of gas, it weighs more than the sluice. Highbankers suck at fine recovery unless they have an extension to let the bubbles out.

(comment deleted, no politics!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How many good folks have any idea what CAP, ADWR, AMA and ADQ are? Getting water from canals do not require a phD., does require a small bit of cash for permits and applications, etc. Once a permit is issued, the physical location can be easily be amended for pocket change... as long as the basic parameters were pretty much the same . I think I'll keep my high banker, while dry washing gives others silicosis and other respiratory diseases. It may take a month or so to get the paperwork, but once permitted...

I believe that I'll prospect along the CAP and high-bank where the ground warrants it... with all the water I'll ever need. I'll bring along a few small almond trees to use the unrecyclable water.

The people that I had spoken to in AZ government were professional in demeanor, facts were easy to ascertain, and they were ready and willing to aid me in obtaining the required permits. For the life of me, I cannot understand why AZ miners haven't banded together to get the permits required. The water is there!!!

BTW - I lived for some time in Casa Grande and I'm no stranger to the desert, but not an expert. BS usually can go around the world ten times... before truth even gets on its' shoes.

This is fantasy ncclaymaker. I do know quite a bit about CAP, ADWMR, ADQ and the Colorado River pact.

If you had actually researched this you would know that the first regulatory hurdle your plan encountered would never be cleared. It's an axiom of water rights access in Arizona that:
Temporary Water shall not be an integral part of the applicants' business operations.
So you might be able to get a temporary permit if you were using the water to grow almond trees to shade your hand cranked drywasher or for dust control for your powered drywasher but you will never get a permit for a traveling highbanking operation. That's not even getting into the issues with getting a required recharge permit for your mining wastewater. Whole 'nuther ball of wax there.

Just putting some shoes on your theory. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't like your way of thinking it would be stealing.
I don't like thieves.

I doubt ncclaymaker or anyone else could steal water from that canal. It's sealed on both banks with barbed wire topped 7 foot galvanized steel chain link fence. Every access point is gated and locked. The ground around the canal is cleared of all brush etc. for at least 100 feet and it's patrolled full time by plane, helicopter and truck patrols. Desert dwellers protect their water supplies.

The CAP is the largest federal project in history and five million people rely on the water carried in that canal to be drinkable. Critical infrastructure. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I understand your rationalization if I apply for a permit and obtain one... I must be a thief of resources or from the Kremlin? I have a rock in my garden with more intelligence than that statement you made. At least the Kremlin does not have to be made great again... they are pretty much on their way. 608,000 US covid deaths as of today. Now that's great. Please don't get vaccinated... we can be even greater.

Don't know what your problem is, and don't care. Several people have offered
you very sound advice, and you've responded with arrogance and disdain for their help.
Maybe you are not aware, but IMO you've pretty much worn out your welcome
from the gold prospectors here.

You're not interested in any help, so please, take all your gadgets and your
plane and go to Arizona or Nevada and do what you will.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's always the same ones too I've noticed. The self proclaimed experts and armchair gurus, mostly west coasters that have already given up their mining rights.. Says alot I think and no wonder most of you are so sour to newcomers.
Maybe all of you should be banned.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's always the same ones too I've noticed. The self proclaimed experts and armchair gurus, mostly west coasters that have already given up their mining rights.. Says alot I think and no wonder most of you are so sour to newcomers.
Maybe all of you should be banned.

JB, have you actually read the man's posts? Nobody I know of is
sour to newcomers, and in fact, a number of us welcomed this person.
Then, when he basically told us we didn't know JS, even more people
tried to politely explain reality to him.

No idea where you got your opinions from, but kindness has been shown, and rejected.

Said my peace..time to move on.... 1f43e.png 1f43e.png 1f43e.png 1f43e.png

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A man does not wish sickness and death on his fellow miners and there families plus anyone else. Understanding your mining rights and fighting for them is the way to go. I knew the old timers and learned from them, sorry you didn't have that opportunity. I know how the old-timers would react to your post. ? LOL

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
(quote deleted)

One member simply suggested it (tongue-in-cheek), and you've made a
big issue out of it. As far as I know, they don't ban people for lacking
honor or good character.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Please keep in mind that even greenies / government people / and environmentalist review this site as well as other mining / prospecting site's and get ammo for the court's and just love to stire up stuff. PLZ DONT FEED THE WACO'S !!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I don't like to do it but a couple members are on timeouts for politics after being warned and ignoring warning about politics.

If members want to post politics then join as charter member and post on our politics forum.

No politics or insulting members. You can discuss laws good and bad, but you can not post political feelings or political rhetoric.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is always telling me if I plan on going to Nevada, I had better get a dry washer. I'm sort of retired... dry washing sounds a lot like hard work, gives us poor returns on investment and time, way below minimum wage. So why do it?? I have to admit that for the most part the nay sayers could almost be right...almost. Viewing the google earth desert areas, I found that the US government funded and constructed thousands of miles of waterway canals/conduits throughout the desert sw to help "farmers"(corporate entities) grow tree nuts in the desert. Well the tree nut "corporate farmers" require about 1,900 gallons of water to produce a pound of almonds. They've already succeeded in sucking dry Lake Meade and other water sources to the point of exhausting the water sources altogether. 35% of capacity is not even a half full glass.

We all know that once something gets californicated, rarely does it return to what it was before. Suction dredging in CA is dead as it is legislated, but what if you were in the middle of the Nevada or Arizona desert next to a canal using that as a water source to highbank placer from an area adjacent to the canal. You are not violating the law unless cited and tried. AZ or NV could care less about CA becoming a dried prune. In one hour, you would be using water that would produce a pound of almonds.

Please note that you're in NV or AZ, not CA. I would also suggest that you not return any discharge into the canal where you would be "polluting" or creating turbidity in the canal water. What will they do? Take away your birthday? Charge you with petty water theft (a misdemeanor that's a ticket). The water in these canals are clean enough to drink. Mind you, I am NOT encouraging anyone to violate the "law", perhaps I'm encouraging us to use our own resources, created with our money, not some non tax paying corporate farmer. Let's face it... what are the odds of someone coming along and recognizing what you are doing? Buy a T-Shirt with "Mercury Mitigation Orginization" imprinted on it, and cheap business cards to match the shirt.

attachment.php
canal image in AZ

97% of US farms are family owned.

Also it is a myth that it takes a gallon of water per almond.

In the 80's when they had the drought..cotton was the Ca. bad guy.

Back then your T-shirt was made here..from cotton grown here.

Fun fact...there are people who lobby to have pretty much everything grown out of our country.

They like to use that BS 1900 gallon figure.

After what we had start two weeks to flatten the curve ago. Should make anyone want to rethink shrinking our domestic production of anything.

One thing the anti irrigation crowd seems to skip is the fact that water on the ground..that goes into the ground and isn't sucked into roots...recharges ground water.

Since we de-swamped the central valley farming was the main thing putting water back in the ground while gobs of it went to the ocean.

That historically never made it there.

Weird?

Might wanna brush up on facts and law.

Before you go on the intrawebs and tell people they should try to do illegal stuff.

https://www.growingproduce.com/nuts/almonds-not-thirsty/

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions