Is it a good idea to buy this land that has a creek with gold?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.trulia.com/property/5069834961-0-Highway-140-Mariposa-CA-95338

Need some serious advice, this just popped up recently and I'm thinking of selling everything I have just to buy it. What do you think of this? I've panned in that area before, there's pickers-sized gold in it. But $210k is quite a lot of money.

66u9aeccufb71.jpg

Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy it. Pan until you get tired of it. Sell it. That way the gold was free. That's my favorite way to dig an arrowhead site. would be the same for gold.

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure you will own the mineral rights to the land before you buy it!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy it if it's the land you seek, not the gold.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of that 150 acres is hilly, any hope of high benches? Not a lot of creek and it looks like most of it is right on the road.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
.... This sounds like a good way to advertise land for sale. Value added advertising?..

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My concern is your statement about selling everything in order to generate the cash needed to buy it. If money was no object, then I'd say buy what makes you happy and enjoy it, but needing to sell nearly everything seems rash. And if selling retirement funds early, consider the penalties.

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a building on the south end of the property that you can stay at ? I do not see many spots you camp at.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Firebird,

Interesting if the price history listed on the site is to be believed. It was listed for $149K in April 2020 and sold in August 2020 for $600K
- must of been one hell of a bidding war to have sold for $451K over list. It was resold in January 2021 for $125K for a drop of over $475K in 5 months and is now listed for $210K only 6 months later. Also, it was listed for sale back in December of 2014 for $1.1M and sold in November of 2018 for just $50K. Like I wrote higher, interesting, I would be careful. It seems to me that $210K is a very good price for 150 acres in CA with water and just down the road from Yosemite Park which is one of the busiest parks in our country. Also, there is a picture of an old building which could hold treasures waiting to be found with your detector. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The current owner just purchased it for $125,000 in January of this year. If you look at the sales history it looks like a long running drama. It sold in August of last year for $600,000 then again in January for $125,000?

I do know that area well. There have been some great pocket deposits found in a few of the many hanging valleys in those hills. I've seen one little area that was worked by two detectorists for two weeks and it produced enough to pay the asking price. There probably aren't a lot of that quality of deposits left up there so I would consider a purchase of this property to be a bet with bad odds. If I had $210,000 to gamble (I don't) I can think of better properties with proven resources that I would bet on. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This appears to be a spec property... I would suggest that you let someone else warm the seat. Do you due diligence, detach from emotions... it's just dirt.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not. There is something inherently wrong with the property being sold so many times and with the pricing all over the place. It could be folks were thinking thar' be gold here, and it was just flakes and dust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions