Best way to catch gold from crushed ore?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Best way to catch gold from crushed ore?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2020
    North West CT
    44 times
    Prospecting

Question Best way to catch gold from crushed ore?

Good morning folks,

I recently purchased a USA Prospectors miller table and have been running some gold ore that I had crushed up. Was hoping it would work well to catch all the gold as I am running sub 50 mesh through this. But it seems I am loosing a very large amount of flakes over the edge. I've read that miller tables can be great for flat gold, like stuff from rivers, but they are not too great on gold from hard-rock. Does anyone use something in particular to collect the fine gold from their crushed hard-rock ore? I don't have the money for a shaker table, but am willing to invest in something like a blue bowl or gold cube if you have had good luck with those. Not sure if I should be posting this in hard rock mining, I know this section gets a lot more eyes. I will keep this miller table to run the black sands I have from the river, but I don't think this is going to work out for me on the crushed ore. Any and all thoughts and comments are appreciated!

'Wint'
    RTR and Goodyguy like this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    20844 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Years ago I built a 22"x44" Miller Table .Coated the top with 2 coats of this .And it catches round & flat gold w/o any problems.Whats critical is, water flow rate and angle of table Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	1943319
    Using that pump and 1" drop per running foot of table works great.Also I cut (w/table saw) a 1/4" gold trench for the -100 mesh stuff
    Blue bowls work if you have all day.
    Last edited by RTR; Aug 19, 2021 at 08:07 AM.
    russau, Fat, Goodyguy and 1 others like this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    As RTR said , I agree BUT for the smaller fines I'd screen them at different mesh sizes and run them separately with slower water speeds & amounts. I made my Miller Table out of some 3/8 inch slate and it worked great. I had made a M.T. out of plywood and coated it with the black board paint and it worked good also BUT after a lot of run cons , I'd had to repaint it! I preferred actual slate by far!!

us
    Oct 2020
    North West CT
    44 times
    Prospecting
    Man I really need to bite the bullet and invest in a Table Saw one of these days! I measured out my table now and its just about 12" long (Quite short in comparison to yours). The pump I am using is a 317gph, currently I am running it at about 3/4 of max. I measure from my water flow entrance to the end of my table and I only have about a 1/4" of drop for the 12" of length. Do you think it would be better for me to lower the water flow and increase my pitch? The flow of water coming off my end is measuring about 1/8" of an inch deep. Appreciate you guys helping me out! I've got a catch basin below so I'm fortunately not really losing anything. Will just have to re-run it once I get this thing dialed in. I also don't really have this panned down to just black sand, but I am still finding what looks like gold, as well as possibly copper and silver.
    RTR and Fat like this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    20844 times
    Best thing is to experiment w/different water volumes and different drop per foot on the table.As long as your catching the run off your not losing anythingI found my table(the way its set up) likes 20 to 40 mesh material. Once you get it dialed in you'll love it and the gold will drop out pretty much where you drop it,on the tableClick image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1943342
    Last edited by RTR; Aug 19, 2021 at 10:40 AM.
    russau and Fat like this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    20844 times
    Wint
    Are you classifying the material ?

us
    Oct 2020
    North West CT
    44 times
    Prospecting
    Yea I have a set of classifiers, I am currently running the stuff that dropped through the 50 mesh, but is too big to go through the 100 (I don't have a size in-between) I also haven't really panned it down much, couple of pics attached for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3993.PNG 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	1943350

Name:	IMG_3998.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	1943355

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    20844 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wint View Post
    Yea I have a set of classifiers, I am currently running the stuff that dropped through the 50 mesh, but is too big to go through the 100 (I don't have a size in-between) I also haven't really panned it down much, couple of pics attached for reference.

Name:	IMG_3993.PNG 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	1943350

Name:	IMG_3998.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	1943355
    You could buy a set of these for not much money. I've Used them for many years and their still good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	1943361
    Last edited by RTR; Aug 19, 2021 at 01:27 PM.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

RTR
    us

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    20844 times
    A Falcon MD-20 will find it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	1943367
    >> https://cdn.seriousdetecting.com/wp-...-teststrip.jpg <<< and smaller gold than the test card shows.
    Last edited by RTR; Aug 19, 2021 at 03:22 PM.
    russau likes this.

us
    Oct 2020
    North West CT
    44 times
    Prospecting
    Ooo, that's a neat little tool. I should really get into Metal Detecting. My fathers property was all old farmland. Being from Connecticut there is surely a lot of buried history here. I think a lot of what I was seeing may have been copper flakes rolling off, but there was deff some little specs of gold as well, I was able to see them side by side with the copper.
    RTR likes this.

us
    Hey y?all!

Aug 2021
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    Gold bug 2, vanquish 540, carrot
    79 times
    Mercury
    gold tramp and Clay Diggins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
    6823 times
    A Miller table works best when ALL the particles being run are the same size. Same with a blue bowl, spiral wheel, or any other device to a lesser degree, but it's more critical on a blue bowl or miller table.

If the flow is too fast the flat gold will surf on down the table. Dont forget to use a few drops of JET-DRY but not too much!
    Be sure the flakes you are losing are really gold.

Also, place a section of scotch brite pad under where the water enters to where the water goes under the gate.
    This will smooth out the flow perfectly!

Remember to always feed a Miller table with wet material never dry.

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Aug 20, 2021 at 03:02 PM.
    Clay Diggins, russau and RTR like this.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    and use a rare earth magnet on your dry cons to remove any magnetite BEFORE you run them wet in any device. It'll save you lots of work.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    high desert goldfields
    gold master V-sat
    286 times
    I always used a tungsten table with a Wilfley head motion.

with it the three tungsten (Scheelite)groves that go compleatly across the table got 99% of the gold and then i used amalgamater to clean the cons.

water adjustmentsnts are what get many people to much will wash your gold down the table too little will cut the ammount of gold in the cons
    russau and gold tramp like this.

Aug 2021
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wint View Post
    Good morning folks,

I recently purchased a USA Prospectors miller Speed Test table and have been running some gold ore that I had crushed up. Was hoping it would work well to catch all the gold as I am running sub 50 mesh through this. But it seems I am loosing a very large amount of flakes over the edge. I've read that miller tables can be great for flat gold, like stuff from rivers, but they are not too great on gold from hard-rock. Does anyone use something in particular to collect the fine gold from their crushed hard-rock ore? I don't have the money for a shaker table, but am willing to invest in something like a blue bowl or gold cube if you have had good luck with those. Not sure if I should be posting this in hard rock mining, I know this section gets a lot more eyes. I will keep this miller table to run the black sands I have from the river, but I don't think this is going to work out for me on the crushed ore. Any and all thoughts and comments are appreciated!

'Wint'
    There is the Blue Bowl, the Gold Cube, Shaker Tables, and all the different Spiral Wheels. I am leaning towards the Keene Spiral Wheel. Has anyone used a number of these products and can give an opinion on the best one available? I want to quickly and easily get the flour gold out of my concentrates without panning.
    Last edited by ganthercage; Aug 26, 2021 at 06:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links