Family dies in Mariposa county due to possible mineshaft gasses
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Family dies in Mariposa county due to possible mineshaft gasses

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2018
    Central Valley California
    272 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Family dies in Mariposa county due to possible mineshaft gasses

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/us/yo...rnd/index.html

Be careful out there guys. I've prospected in that area before and I swear I could smell something unpleasant in the water in the creeks there like gas. Authorities are still unsure what killed the family, no obvious signs of death/wounds and best theory so far is either mineshaft gasses from the old mines in the area or algae bloom in the creeks.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1364 times
    Prospecting
    Carbon monoxide from a mine shaft sounds unlikely.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    2678 times
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/us/yo...rnd/index.html

Be careful out there guys. I've prospected in that area before and I swear I could smell something unpleasant in the water in the creeks there like gas. Authorities are still unsure what killed the family, no obvious signs of death/wounds and best theory so far is either mineshaft gasses from the old mines in the area or algae bloom in the creeks.
    Always need to be careful!Lots of things can go bad for the unwary or the uninformed.
    Relicgrubber and ArfieBoy like this.

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1910 times
    wow.sorry to hear this,please keep us posted.
    brad
    ArfieBoy likes this.

Aug 2016
    3401 times
    if it smells unfamiliar ease on back a bit

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    2678 times
    Don,t forget your eyes.If it don,t look good or right,it probably isn,t.

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    The old saying is : stay out , stay alive ! Makes a lot of sense to me!

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    2678 times
    Old wooden houses have an attraction for me,but old rotten wood is not conducive to future good health.Stay out,stay alive sounds like good advice!
    Lenrac2, russau and ArfieBoy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    37369 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    POSSIBLY carbon dioxide from an underground thermal vent. Been known to replace the oxygen in the air and kill everything within sight. Interesting to know if dead birds or animals were nearby.

us
    Jan 2013
    high desert goldfields
    gold master V-sat
    286 times
    Exclude Carbon monoxide unless you have a mine fire.and the police reported there were no open mines near where the family was found.
    i have explored many old mines and never found Carbon monoxide in old underground mines. other gases yes but never Carbon monoxide.
    toxic algae also unlikely unless they were drinking the water.

peat fire is more likely because of the dry weather in the area for the last couple years and the old fire burn in the area where the bodies were found.
    et1955 and ArfieBoy like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    86382 times
    Quote Originally Posted by islamoradamark View Post
    if it smells unfamiliar ease on back a bit
    I apply this logic / tactic to every bottle of rum i encounter.

So... i ease on back and go slower.

:P
    crashbandicoot and ArfieBoy like this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - HAVE PERMISSION - FILL HOLES - DISPOSE OF TRASH. The Random Chat Thread---> http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    Never saw a bottle of rum that I didn't like !
    crashbandicoot and ArfieBoy like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    7295 times
    What was the gas fumes that killed the father and son on Oak Island in 1965?

Once again, Oak Island had thrown up a maddening, intriguing clue. After a while you start asking yourself, What is real? How do you separate fact from fiction? Where's the truth?

At one extreme is Mildred Restall. "You see that vase over there?" she asks angrily, pointing to a white vase on her windowsill. "There's no such thing as the truth anymore. You can say that vase is black long enough until you believe it and it becomes the 'truth.' That's what I mean about Oak Island. Where did they get the idea that there's something down there? I ask you, Where?"

Mildred Restall has good reason to ask the question. While most Oak Island treasure hunters gave up their careers and life savings for the hunt, she gave up much more: the lives of her husband and first-born son.

It happened on August 17, 1965. She and her husband, Bob, had been living on the island since 1959 while he hunted for the treasure. What happened that muggy day has never been entirely explained. Restall apparently was inspecting one of his pits when he blacked out and toppled in. His son Bobby came to his rescue, but when the other workers arrived they saw both father and son lying in the black water at the bottom. Four of them descended and were quickly overcome by fumes in the pit. Two were rescued but the others, along with the Restalls, died--by drowning. The toxic gas was never identified.
    ArfieBoy and Ryano like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    16269 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here at work we keep Hydrogen Sulfide gas detectors for when employees have to enter lower levels and tanks. It is a natural byproduct of vegetation/plant decomposition and also thermal vents, and sinks in air to low spots. In lower concentration it smells like rotten eggs. But in a lethal level it overpowers your sense of smell and before you notice a problem it's too late. OSHA recognizes it as a hazard in mines.

https://www.osha.gov/hydrogen-sulfide

This comes to mind because it was found to be the cause of death of 5 bison in Yellowstone not too long ago - out in the open but in a gully.

I think the Oak Island well incident was because the Restalls were operating gas equipment at the mouth of the shaft and the fumes sank into the hole. Carbon monoxide poisoning. Don't know if that was ever the official finding.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Aug 23, 2021 at 11:27 AM.
    "If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth" -- Carl Sagan.

Need the names of good men and heroes to say? Say the names of M. Sgt Gordon and 1st Sgt Shugart.

Charter Member
    us
    Conservative Texan for life...

Nov 2018
    Deep East Texas
    XP DEUS w/ 9" X35, 9” HF & MI6 Pinpointer - Nokta Fors Core w/Garrett Z-Link Headphones and Pinpointer
    2345 times
    Last I read they have ruled out the Death from GAS possibility and that they were now treating the deaths as a homicide.
    #TEXIT!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links