Reading placer flakes
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree33Likes
  • 6 Post By Matthews940
  • 7 Post By mytimetoshine
  • 3 Post By Matthews940
  • 5 Post By oneguy
  • 5 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 5 Post By bug
  • 2 Post By arizau

Thread: Reading placer flakes

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2020
    Redding, CA
    Minelab Gold Monster 1000
    59 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Reading placer flakes

I've been thinking about a spot on a creek that I was crevicing a little while back. I got some pretty good flakes out of this one crevice. As I learn more and more about prospecting, and finding the source, I had to go back and look closely at the gold I found there. The majority of them are somewhat worn, but still show features of their original shape. But one flake in particular is still very course. Is there any general rule of thumb for the correlation between coarseness and distance traveled, or are there too many factors involved?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 12.09.46 PM.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	1945496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 12.09.55 PM.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	1945497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 12.10.03 PM.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	1945498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 12.10.10 PM.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	1945499
    Last edited by Matthews940; Sep 03, 2021 at 05:09 PM.

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
    3357 times
    In general coarse flakes should indicate a deposit "close" by. But that doesnt mean the deposit hasn't already been found and mined. There are also many exceptions to the rule. A piece of gold could travel a long way such as an ore specimen. That just happena to break apart nearby. Doesn't guarantee it came from close by, but in general yes.

I've found a lot of coarse flakes but it ain't leading to no "undiscovered deposit" lol. My area is to worked over. But probably more true in more remote less heavily mined areas.

2 cents
    Last edited by mytimetoshine; Sep 04, 2021 at 07:02 PM.
    Phil, DizzyDigger, bug and 4 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

us
    Jan 2020
    Redding, CA
    Minelab Gold Monster 1000
    59 times
    I was hoping you'd say the deposit is directly above where I found it. The creek was heavily dredged and there are some placer mines about 4k ft upstream that run into this creek.
    Last edited by Matthews940; Sep 03, 2021 at 05:29 PM.
    crashbandicoot, ArfieBoy and Phil like this.

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, GPX 6000 etrac
    1289 times
    Metal Detecting
    It's hard to say. There also can be several sources feeding your creek, one closer (course) and another further away where they traveled some and are smoother. I'm currently working in such a spot with at least 2 different types of placer or so we think? Donated all of yesterdays nuggs to the co. and they will send them in for chemical analysis to see if our suspicions are right? Rough flakes and some bigger smoother stuff....
    Good luck...!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    4146 times
    Prospecting
    Could also be carried WAY downstream on, or in, an ice flow, too. There are some really big boulders on our local desert that were transported in big pieces of ice during an ice age flood, from WAY up in the mountains. I suspect the fist-sized pieces of copper I found in Nevada last summer may have been transported that way.
    Jim

bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    389 times
    Many of the CA motherload creeks have a mix of course and smooth. I personally dont get excited. Gold can travel in a host rock for a long ways, I'd imagine miles, and then be released from the matrix.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3469 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthews940 View Post
    I was hoping you'd say the deposit is directly above where I found it. The creek was heavily dredged and there are some placer mines about 4k ft upstream that run into this creek.
    If the deposit was very nearby then searching the hillsides adjacent to and trending upstream should yield some float material/ore...mineralized quartz or visible gold in quartz. Geologist and everyday prospectors alike do this and in some instances following float has lead to outcroppings of lode deposits.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Sep 10, 2021 at 12:11 AM.
    delnorter and oneguy like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Sponsored Links