Finding clay deposits in a mid-sized creek

monte_rivers

Greenie
Feb 1, 2021
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! More and more I am learning to appreciate a good clay layer, as the areas where I prospect have deep bedrock and coarse gravel and sand. I have been reading generic info about how clay is formed, but haven't yet found any information on the best conditions for formation or the best places to look in a creek to find it.

Some things I've come across on the web regarding clay: (1) clay deposits form below decomposing rock or above decomposing bedrock, (2) clay is often an indicator of an old sluicing or dredging operation, (3) keep your eyes open for mineralized clay, (4) always test your clay because some is great and some is worthless, (5) clay clods that are a mix of textures indicate the top or bottom of the layer and might be better than clay clods that are uniformly clay, probably from the middle of the deposit.

Any advice? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay can be a tricky devil. I’ve found that hard chunks of blue clay I find in my area are best dried, crushed, dry panned down to around 20% before finishing off wet panning.

This is the best way I’ve found to test the sticky stuff that’s a nightmare to pan out in the creek.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay is tough/impossible stuff to process when wet.Best to get samples from different areas in the creek.Label creek location, and bag the samples.Bring home and let the samples dry out good.Then break apart and crush into sand,then pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread