New 49er question. Wheres the color?

Bizerker

Jan 14, 2008
New 49'er question. Where's the color?

Hello. I've paned and sluiced before a little as a kid. Now I've grown up and have my own kid and would like to get him outdoors. Like I said I a new 49'er, meaning I live in Auburn, CA. I know the area pretty good. I know the usual easy spots like, Bear River Campground, Iowa Hill Campground, Ponderosa, Yankee Jim's. I was just wondering what are some other opinions of the area are. Are these places still colorful, or should I try elsewhere? Are there any local GPAA or LDMA claims? I plan on going to the local prospecting store in Auburn and asking also. Any suggestions of areas to go, or local groups to join? I don't expect any pin point directions, just any help getting pointed in the right general direction.

I would have searched before posting but it's not allowed. And I'm hunting for current knowledge.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

hipmount

Oct 4, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
3" Keene suction dredge, 2 hand sluices, Garrett Gold Stinger, Whites 6000 di Pro (keeps on ticking) ~ Whites GMT ~ Fisher gold bug 2
Re: New 49'er question. Where's the color?

http://miningold.com/states/ca.html

Check out Colfax (American River) .......... It's a great spot to set up a sluice & camp for the weekend .......... took my kids there years ago. Got our first pan of color ..... and had a quarter ounce .... at the end of the season.
Boogie up river from the bridge/campground.

hip ~

buckaroo

Apr 9, 2007
California Gold Country

Welcome Bizerker. I am just down the road from you in Ophir. All of the places you mentioned are good. I have done well at the Iowa Hill bridge and up river. Might try Green Horn Creek. I have also done well on the Auburn Ravine. If you know some one who has property on it.

You might try Mother Load Gold Hounds. They are a local club with great people and outings.
http://www.goldhounds.com/

OP
OP
B

Bizerker

Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If anybody else has anything to add I'm still watching and reading through the threads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions