A dredging question concerning a 1.5" honda pump...

Jerry123

Greenie
Sep 29, 2006
A dredging question concerning a 1.5" honda pump...

Just received a new 2 1/2 hp honda pump to use for shallow water work such as cracks and fine gravels.
My question is I need 1.5" hose for the inlet and outlet. What kind of fitting do I need to connect to the inlet and outlet ? Also will I be able to get the 1.5" hose and connectors at one of the major hardware stores?

Thanks fo any help!!!!!

Jerry P

Upvote 0

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
Re: A dredging question concerning a 1.5" honda pump...

Should be no problem. Just get two screw in hose fittings, some hose clamps, hose, and away you go! When you go to the store, build the connections there if you can. You can always take the parts back.

OP
OP
J

Jerry123

Greenie
Sep 29, 2006

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at home depot and the largest diameter hose was 1 1/4". Do U think I will hace to get it online?

Thanks Jerry P

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx

Try a hose shop, or call around. You will lose a lot of volume if you decrease the i.d. of the hose. You know you will need pressure as well as volume to create the suction you need to lift the material and run it over the sluice. I've used a trash pump, and it worked, but a higher pressure pump is more effective.

JamesE

Your question begs the question, you aren't planning to try to suck gravel through your new pump are you?????? Because that ain't no way the way it (a dredge) works!!!
You'll trash your new pump PDQ. These little (or even bigger) pumps are not meant for anything but water going through them. As in power sluicing or powering a dredge jet or suction nozzle. If you mean you intend to suck out gravel through your pump into the sluice, you're going to wreck your pump. If you mean use a nozzle on the discharge to blow out cracks, be prepared to catch it as it's blown out of the crevice.
Done right with good maintenance, you'll still be using your new Honda 10 years from now. I wish everybody would give a general location of your locale, there's a hose supply in San Jose that sold Chinese 1 1/2'' lay flat for real cheap, one here that still sells it for way cheap also.
If we don't know where you are, it's hard to offer a good source.
Same as with MDing, a guy in NV may not have the right advice for the guy in a non-alkali-mineralized area.
A help and a mini rant, ;) jim

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

i have several size pumps and i use the "camlock" or quick disconnect type of connectors on all of my pumps. but if you do use the hose clamp for fastening your hose ,buy the good ones from a boat and marine store. these are made of stainless steel and wont stripout when over tightened.

JamesE

I hear you, me too at first, then I wasn't sure 'cuz he didn't mention anything about a jet, just hoses.

Jerry, Sorry if I was 'preaching to the chior', wasn't trying to talk down to you, would just hate to see your Honda pump not last as long as it can, which for a Honda can be years and years.
I also understand that being new to the site doesn't mean new to prospecting or MDing, so, my apologies if I was sounding condescending. jim :'(

OP
OP
J

Jerry123

Greenie
Sep 29, 2006

Thanks for the info guys. I have a 1.5" suction nozzle.

Thanks Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread