sluice box

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Hello friends

Do you have any books about gold prospecting using sluicebox in a small creek.
As you well know the snoqualmie, Wa got blasted with snow 20 feet of it. Just imagine how much water run down we will have in the spring. I was gold panning and using my home made sluice box on that small creek years ago and I guess I will start to do it again - my kids are bigger and they can help me --- lol.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of Dave Mccrackens books are excellent,also pretty much any hobby prospecting books cover sluicing to some extent.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Vodka, I built a sluice that works, you don't need to get in the creek with it,in fact you can use a small kids pool for your water or a tub. I have used both.
Get a 20 dollar bilge pump and some hose. A pair of old pantie hose for a strainer over the bilge pump to keep the sand out. That will take care of your recirculating water system. Use a 12v battery for power.
Now you want to make a swing out of your sluice. Picture this as you would a swing in the yard with a frame to hang it on.These items you can get at Wal Mart or any hardware store.
* 5/16 nuts 8 ea
* 5/16 flat washers 8ea
* 5/16 eye bolts 4 ea
* 1/4 S hooks 4 ea
These will mount on the side at each end
In the pet dept or the chain dept they have a bag of chain 20 foot for pets or in hardware for swings. It was just over 6.00
Next you need the stuff to mount this to the frame
4 1/4 s hooks
2 5/16 eye bolts
4 5/16 nuts
4 5/16 flat washers
You will need several 1/4 bolts 1" 1/4"flat washers and nuts

Build a frame from bed rails so that it will be easy to take apart and put up, look at some yard swings to get some ideas.
You can adjust this and use it any where, even use a garden hose in the back yard and bring your stuff home in 5 gal buckets. Leave chain do not cut any off, this gives you the adjusting option to work on any type ground. Now the Kids will love this, so you can put them to work. I never put my sluice in the creek. You can move up and down the creek to find where the most gold is located without moving the sluice.

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
gnewt said:
Vodka, I built a sluice that works, you don't need to get in the creek with it,in fact you can use a small kids pool for your water or a tub. I have used both.
Get a 20 dollar bilge pump and some hose. A pair of old pantie hose for a strainer over the bilge pump to keep the sand out. That will take care of your recirculating water system. Use a 12v battery for power.
Now you want to make a swing out of your sluice. Picture this as you would a swing in the yard with a frame to hang it on.These items you can get at Wal Mart or any hardware store.
* 5/16 nuts 8 ea
* 5/16 flat washers 8ea
* 5/16 eye bolts 4 ea
* 1/4 S hooks 4 ea
These will mount on the side at each end
In the pet dept or the chain dept they have a bag of chain 20 foot for pets or in hardware for swings. It was just over 6.00
Next you need the stuff to mount this to the frame
4 1/4 s hooks
2 5/16 eye bolts
4 5/16 nuts
4 5/16 flat washers
You will need several 1/4 bolts 1" 1/4"flat washers and nuts

Build a frame from bed rails so that it will be easy to take apart and put up, look at some yard swings to get some ideas.
You can adjust this and use it any where, even use a garden hose in the back yard and bring your stuff home in 5 gal buckets. Leave chain do not cut any off, this gives you the adjusting option to work on any type ground. Now the Kids will love this, so you can put them to work. I never put my sluice in the creek. You can move up and down the creek to find where the most gold is located without moving the sluice.
Thank you friend -------- 8)
I have a sluice box and it is home made by me...
This baby is almost 8 feet long. I built it on my own. I will post some pics. soon.
Got it working great at """Snoqualmie creek""" - some flakes and small nuggets -- some years ago.
This spring I will try it again.....I hope my kids 11 and 9 will help me...
;D

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea Gnewt,

Do you have pictures you are willing to share? thanks!

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I can get pictures but I am having trouble down loading Because of this dang VISTA program. I have been working on that and so far no luck. I won't stop even if I have to get another Camera. I will See my sluice up in the back yard and use the garden hose to sow how it works. It works as good as a pan, more and faster.
If there is a wind you can see it work automatically. It can work with the same motion you use with a pan. My sluice is a little over 80 inches long and 14" wide.and has 75 riffles I carved in it. I have never put it in the creek
, mucho work . It is in the warehouse now because I just move here from Near Goldville Alabama. There is still gold there near my property maybe on my property, I haven't checked all over it. They had a gold rush there and when Cal.
had theirs the miners left and went out there. Gnewt

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
gnewt said:
I can get pictures but I am having trouble down loading Because of this dang VISTA program. I have been working on that and so far no luck. I won't stop even if I have to get another Camera. I will See my sluice up in the back yard and use the garden hose to sow how it works. It works as good as a pan, more and faster.
If there is a wind you can see it work automatically. It can work with the same motion you use with a pan. My sluice is a little over 80 inches long and 14" wide.and has 75 riffles I carved in it. I have never put it in the creek
, mucho work . It is in the warehouse now because I just move here from Near Goldville Alabama. There is still gold there near my property maybe on my property, I haven't checked all over it. They had a gold rush there and when Cal.
had theirs the miners left and went out there. Gnewt

I have a good digital camera for trade...
Talk to me.
Check my site..
8)

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I am sorry I'm sort of down for a few days, Got the camera working, I need to get my good stuff out of the whse. and get some pictures. Sat I made a trip to Dallas and did so much walking, all day' that it about took me out. Almost 81 tells on you if you are not careful. I haven't been to the gym in three months, laying around on this computer ain't good. I will try to get sluice out of the whse today, I think my Daughter can handle it for me.
By the way I have got another project I am working on, Black light flash lights. If we are going to hunt gold we might as well spot gems too, you never know what you are throwing away. Plus snakes and scorpions will show up too if want to collect them.LOL I will be OK in a couple of days, I'm a tough old bird. Gnewt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread