Thinking about getting a hand dredge.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a oil suction gun with a steel tube welded on it ,works great i go behind everyone else and clean the cracks ,they do the hard work for you.you just pick and scrape then suck it up.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a 3 inch PVC one that I use and love it. I have found more gold with it than a shovel in the streams. You can dig a pretty good sized hole with one and be pretty precise with it as well.
For a hand tool. You can move quite a bit of material. And since its a hand tool, there are no regs on them.
they are great for getting stuff out of under water cracks in bedrock, pot holes in bedrock, skim bar panning and for use in micro creeks that you cant a small dredge in.
I feel the are more effective than backpack dredges and need no gas, they are light, and quiet!
I would recommend also useing a shovel as well with it, that way you can pry rocks and pull up the rocks that fall into the bottom of your hole that are too big to get with hand suction.

As far as are any better than others. It does not matter, it will give you an edge in sample testing in areas that you otherwise cant move as much material with.
It gives you more precision, and more volume to move, Both very important when prospecting.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The one I have is maybe 5 to 7 pounds. Its just a piece of PVC pipe and a smaller rod on the inside caped with a handle and a plunger, It slides up and down. Never weighed it, but it is not a burden at all, i have taken it on many Back packing trips

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
I was cleaning out my backyard and found this old one. You can have it if you pick it up! I live in northern ca.

Attachments

• hand dredge.jpg
    hand dredge.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 660

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005
Mr. BigFish31, I wonder if Grubby needs one. I live in Virginia and have many fond memories of dredging, etc., in California. Will be back someday. Thanks, RuffandTuff

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005
Md-Gold (Danny) makes hand dredges. I just received mine but I have not had a opportunity to test it out. Danny has a proprietry design that I think it would be worth while to check out. Thanks, RuffandTuff

OP
OP
K

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
Thanks to everyone for the info.

There is a guy on ebay that sells them. On his discription page he has a video where he gives you a parts list and directions on how to build one. It looks very easy to make. Think I'll give it a try.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I made my own. Pretty easy to do and several free plans available online. As far as buying one, I imagine they are all similar. Good luck!

Attachments

• goldgetter2.jpg
    goldgetter2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 541

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread