PROSPECTING LOCATIONS IN OREGON...

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
HEY THE WIFE AND I PROSPECT ABOUT EVERY OTHER WEEKEND AND WE DO OK.....WE HAVE HIT SHARPS CREEK IN THE COTTAGE GROVE AREA AND FOUND A LITTLE COLOR...BUT BY FARE IS POVERTY FLATS OUTSIDE OF MYRTLE CREEK....CAN ANYONE SUGGEST ANY PLACES FOR RECREATION PANNING....PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW WE DID...
THANKS
LONE GUNMAN

Upvote 0
D

detect4ever

my uncle is a huge prospector, he has a place where he has found some nice chunks of gold, he and some of his freinds are the only guys out there. he took my brother out one time and they found a ton of nuggets. I will ask my brother where the place is, if it is ok to tell you guys ill let you know. my uncle thinks there is a motherload out there, he spends all of his summer at the place. ive seen pictures of the place, they stack rocks 6 feet high to clear them out of the way, its a very pretty sight to see. good luck with your dredging and ill ask my brother if he can tell me where the place is.

soulofawolf

Jan 25, 2005
K.Falls, Oregon
Hey Lone Gunman,

Theres a book named, Gem Trails of Oregon, which i picked up at a rock/gem show. Maybe Barnes & Noble will have it. It lists several locations and also directions to them, they're listed in the index at the back of the book. I believe the book was only $10.95. Good luck in your hunting. ;D

Wolf

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
detect4ever said:
my uncle is a huge prospector, he has a place where he has found some nice chunks of gold, he and some of his freinds are the only guys out there. he took my brother out one time and they found a ton of nuggets. I will ask my brother where the place is, if it is ok to tell you guys ill let you know. my uncle thinks there is a motherload out there, he spends all of his summer at the place. ive seen pictures of the place, they stack rocks 6 feet high to clear them out of the way, its a very pretty sight to see. good luck with your dredging and ill ask my brother if he can tell me where the place is.

Tons of Nuggets???? I want to know the location too!!!

OP
OP
LONE GUNMAN

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS, I ALREADY OWN GEM TRAILS OF OREGON....AND A HAND FULL...OR SHOULD I SAY A WHEELBARROW FULL OF OTHERS....LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR BRO SAYS....THIS SOUNDS INTERESTING...
THANKS
LONE GUNMAN

D

Deadshot

My favorite place to get some nice gold in Oregon is out on quartzville river. There is a large BLM open panning area that covers about 15 miles of river. I Haven't really had much experience anywhere else as of yet, but from the few places I have been this is the most beautiful and accessible place i have been able to consistently find gold at.

Here are a couple pickers I found last year.​

Attachments

• Pickersondime.jpg
    Pickersondime.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 804

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Try the Baker city area, John Day area and canyon creek, Burnt river around clarksville, and Sumpter area.

Orygun

Feb 21, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Technetics T2 Classic
Quartz Mountain in Lake County. Lots of public ground and accessible creeks, some of it is however claimed so keep your eyes open.

I

intimidator03

I am curious about what parts of the columbia river? i used to live in hermiston area. and also for lone gunman where is poverty flats? i do prospecting off dole road in myrtle creek on the bar. IM lookin at finding some new places to go this year... some up in cottage grove area and maybe down on cow creek. maybe we can find good places for each other.
Sincerely
Eric

OP
OP
LONE GUNMAN

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
poverty flats is the bar just north of town....where everyone puts in there dredge....i heard of one guy with a four inch pull out 13 ounces in a day....found a virgin crack and hit it hard....
happy hunting
lgp
ps this season should be great because of all the damn rain.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
One that isn't mentioned much in the books.... Lawson's bar. Have you ever tried it? I pulled some nice pickers out of there a few years ago.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Where Cow Creek hits the Umpqua. Need a dredge to do good there. Panning you might get a little color, but most of the gold is pickers, so they'll be down in the cracks, under the overburden. Best bet is a dredge.

L

lastdaysangel

Hi people
So tell me, is Granite or Sumptner still good places to mine for gold? Or is it all privately owned.
I think I'm going to start doing that! Why not! Up in the mountains, no people, my kind of place.
And you don't really need that much equipment do you?
sincerely Lastdaysangel
buckle up boys, were in for a bumpy ride!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Anyplace where gold has been found before is generally a good place to start. Keep an eye out for claim signs and private property and respect them. I dunno about the not needing much equipment thing- I guess you can keep it to a minumum with digging tools, a pan and a sluice; but when the gold starts to fly its awful hard not to go hog wild on more stuff.

I've got over 5000 invested in equipment. So much for "recreational"! ;)

Still pretty small time compared to the big boys tho-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread