Is it even worth it? - Fine Gold

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
On our land we have a mountain full of hydraulic tailings and in every pan I sample I find anywhere from 2-5 specks of gold. We're talking tiny specks like the tip of a needle.

We are gonna be using a highbanker soon on it but Im starting to wonder if its even worth it.

I figure with the highbanker some of that small stuff will be lost so I may even get less than what I get when I pan.

Its consistent too...2-5 specks per large pan...but man, thats gonna take forever to add up...

What do you all think? Anyone here ever tackle a job like this?

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• land11.jpg
    land11.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 1,106
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
labradoodle of pa said:
I am new to this prospecting does anyone use the desert fox panning machine to get the fine gold Bob ??? :icon_study: :icon_scratch:
labradoodle: I find it disrespectful to hijack someones topic, start your own. :protest: :violent1:
A blue bowl or a keene green bowl gets the fine gold better. Depending on your definition of fine gold?
I think about -50 mesh is fine gold for me.

Let's see Cali.
1 cubic yard= approx 202 gallons
202/5=40,4 buckets.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
http://www.stoneplus.com/calculators.html

They seem to have a pretty good calculation chart.

1 Cubic Yard Equals:
27 cubic feet
(54) ½ cubic foot bags
(36) 5 gallon buckets
(23.5) 1.15 cubic foot rubber mulch bags
(13.5) 2 cubic foot mulch bags
(9) 3 cubic foot mulch bags

River Rock (all) = 1.325 tons (2650 lbs.) per cubic yard

So figure 36 bucket fulls, But the trick is you have to count the boulders in that for an accurate estimate.

But this also will give you an apx yield per ton of material, as a Cubic Yard is about a ton or more.

Most hard rock modern mines are economical at 1/20th of an ounce per tone, thats blasting and crushing rock, Current value about $50 per ton gold, but it was economical at $300 gold so that was at $16 per ton.

Moving dirt is easier, and cheaper and safer. And requires no chemicals to remove it. this is why even "poor" yields can be quite rich.

Id say spend the time to see if its viable to do. Some good 1 yard samples at different spots.
check on the cost of a back hoe "Used", check on fuel consumption rates. check on the cost for a trommel wash plant.
check on regulations that you may need to be aware of.
Calculate how many cubic yards of material you have,
check the stuff that has been gone though as well as what has not, take a record of each.
Figure out how long it will take you to go though it.
run some numbers and see if its profitable or not.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it worth it, these specks? Chuck Lassiter's book, Midwest Gold Prospecting (Chuck's website is www.midwestprospector.com) indicates there are about 12,000 specks of gold per ounce. At $980 an ounce, that would make each speck worth a little over 8 cents each. Now, five specks per pan would be 40 cents per pan. How many pans per day can you do? How about if you get a highbanker/trammel/etc that has been suggested on this forum? I'd sure say that it is worth it! I'm right with the others who have indicated that they wished this was their land! Good luck and start collecting those specks!!!

OP
OP
C

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
Good stuff guys.

Now I cant wait to get out there again!

I'll be running the highbanker out there in a couple of days...so I'll have better data on how much gold Im getting.

With a few Red Bull's I should be able to handle 36 buckets no problem.

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cali209 I didn't mean to high jack your post asking about the desert fox for fine gold Eu_citzen from sweden thinks I did I should of worded it different or started a diffierent post I am sorry that hammer sure put alot of lumps on my head Bob :violent1: :violent1: :(

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lookin said:
Is it worth it, these specks? Chuck Lassiter's book, Midwest Gold Prospecting (Chuck's website is www.midwestprospector.com) indicates there are about 12,000 specks of gold per ounce. At $980 an ounce, that would make each speck worth a little over 8 cents each. Now, five specks per pan would be 40 cents per pan. How many pans per day can you do? How about if you get a highbanker/trammel/etc that has been suggested on this forum? I'd sure say that it is worth it! I'm right with the others who have indicated that they wished this was their land! Good luck and start collecting those specks!!!
Lookin he already has a highbanker, read it again and you'll see. :wink:

labradoodle: :mblah05: :D :thumbsup: :coffee2:

spelunker2

Greenie
Mar 15, 2008
Aloha,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter Vision Pro XJ9
Gosh, I think you folks have given me an infection.
I think I have a fever now.
Loved that video, taught me some things.
Am not sure what "high mining " is.
Have heard about mercury in gold working but sounds dangerous.
I don't think I want to go there.
Will build a sluice box and see what happens when just camping by flowing water.
Can always flyfish upstream and kick the bottom a bit.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Eu_citzen said:

EU, right. The point I was trying to make was the number of "specks" he'd be getting by getting a highbanker out there or other equipment available. Thanks for being the forum police and keeping us all on the up and up! :thumbsup:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lookin said:
Eu_citzen said:

EU, right. The point I was trying to make was the number of "specks" he'd be getting by getting a highbanker out there or other equipment available. Thanks for being the forum police and keeping us all on the up and up! :thumbsup:
I thought you missed it Lookin. Yeah I can only confirm what your saying.

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick to the bottom of that pit and you might be SURPRISED! You can get a VLF type detector and clean up on small nuggets.

Cooter

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fines are always worth the time, they all add up.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cali209 said:
Good stuff guys.

Now I cant wait to get out there again!

I'll be running the highbanker out there in a couple of days...so I'll have better data on how much gold Im getting.

With a few Red Bull's I should be able to handle 36 buckets no problem.
Nice spot! Some one said "It's not the motherlode, but it'll fill the piggybank. Oh yeah, Don't drink the Red Bulls! Take 1 Centrum & 2 B-12s wash em down with a strong cup of coffe & you're good to go! Won't have to be takin so many behind the bush breaks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread