newbie,? about panning/camping in cali or oregon.

lordvader44

Mar 19, 2008
Hi all, I have always wanted to pan for gold and am thinking about comming out west this spring and summer.I have a couple of questions and was wondering if you guys could help me out?I dont have alot of money so I need to pan for free.I also will need to live/primative camp near my panning site.Can one live or camp in the back country in cali or oregon.I think its called dispersed camping and can be done in national forests for free.But can you pan in national forests too?And what about others claims,I dont want too get shot claimjumping.Are the national forests out there full of claims?What would be the best location in cali or oregon for what I want to do? Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not worry about getting shot in CA due to the gun laws there. I think in order to defend yourself you have to go though a series of hierarchy of whats more dangerous, who did what first etc etc and all kinds of other things that you dont have time to think about when something happens. basically its a throw everyone in jail law.

Colorado and Wyoming however...LOL gotta watch it, Last time on record that gun fire was exchanged on a color Colorado was in 1975, last time I know that someone was in a rifle sight trespassing was last year. Colorado has the make my day law where you can shoot first, and ask questions later.

Last time a forest ranger was almost shot when I tried to confiscate a guys metal detector and gold while detecting on his own claim in Wy was in 2002. I dont think the unarmed ranger expected the guy to have a gun. That was a mess. But I believe the ranger lost his job over it.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True enough Cali does have alot of laws but I wouldnt think your are "bulletproof",with the price of gold , marijuana farming and meth heads stealing everything they can off claims people are arming themselves.MNY Hvw the thought train that you are in the middle of no where and there are many mineshafts no one will know!I dont advise it.Last year near one of the VERY popular GPAA claims there was gunplay over a private claim,its not unheard of. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread