which holds more gold?

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Ok im in TN about 20 miles from Coker Creek which is TN's gold belt,, i find gold all the time in Coker Creek,but im gonna try out some feeder creeks.So here is my question which type of creek holds more gold, a creek with round river rocks and pea gravel or a creek with flat rocks, the flat rocks look like slivers of shale about the size of a dime? I know they both have gold but in them, but in your oppinion which would have more? thanks
Allen

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kinda like asking how deep will a metal detector detect. Try sampling both locations. make notes of your sampling. If you got shale, be sure to take a pry bar or similar tool. If you start showing color, try cleaning the cracks and pulling up some of the shale pieces to see what's wedged underneath. You might be surprised what you find wedged in the cracks.

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for the link,lots of good inf on there, i tried out the creek with all of the shale today, dug down through all of the loose shale and rocks to decomposed bedrock,blue clay and some red clay, found some gold but not alot,biggest piece was about the size of half a match head,better than I expected,all in all my hole was only about 3 feet deep,and about 20 yards above me the bedrock was alreay exposed , looked like a good spot to dredge, but it would take a day to get a dredge in there and set it up

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
bigalathenstn said:
Thanks for the link,lots of good inf on there, i tried out the creek with all of the shale today, dug down through all of the loose shale and rocks to decomposed bedrock,blue clay and some red clay, found some gold but not alot,biggest piece was about the size of half a match head,better than I expected,all in all my hole was only about 3 feet deep,and about 20 yards above me the bedrock was alreay exposed , looked like a good spot to dredge, but it would take a day to get a dredge in there and set it up

If you have access to the equipment to get below that blue clay, (false bedrock), thats likely where you'll do well.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions