Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: wetsuit heater

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    1 times

wetsuit heater

anybody know how to make a wetsuit heater out of supplies that can be bought at a hardware store? the motor im using on my dredge is a 5.5 ohv if that helps any

us
    Aug 2007
    NJ
    EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
    118 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: wetsuit heater

omg please dont get mad at me...but when I read your header, the first thing that came to my mind, was some guy walking round with a big bulging lump on his tush.... sorry didnt mean to make fun..but that honestly was my first thought..
    Live your life in such a way, that when your feet hit the floor  in the morning, satan shudders and says, OH CHIT, SHE'S AWAKE.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2310 times

Try Googling Dave McCracken or just DIY wetsuit heater. I remember reading an article a year or so back. All I can really remember they had a coil around the exhaust & no way to control the flow & burned himself. Jeeze I hate that let me get a little more coffee in me & I'll see if I can come up with more for you.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4304 times

i think most of your bigger mining supply stores sell them. over on www.49ermike.com they refered to them and who sells them.i think they even had plans to make them. just remember to use a tempering can to mix the water so you wont get scalded.small peices of sand /canwill get sucked up by the pump and block the tubeing,then you could get scalded if you dont use this water tempering can.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4304 times

the tubing is usually 1/4 poly that you slip down the front/back of your suit.this way if the water temp starts getting to warm you can pull it out real fast to keep from getting burnt. keep it simple!

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6586 times

I've used them for over 35 years--NEVER BURNED--and really like them. Remove muffler and connect with flexible exhaust to 50" of 1/4 copper tubing wrapped round like a good ol'still. Insert into 4' pipe with 1 hole for air in and multiple holes for out. Good ol'auto smog lines work the best,handle heat and don't turn to mush. Then into a 1/2 gallon min. mixer tank to regulate heat,then down a tube tied to your airline with a t fitting-1 in--one for each arm and one to shoot down the crack a your back to keep your feet and hands warm. Yes with a good one you may look like the pillsbury doughboy with warm water gushing out of your booties,gloves and feet--BUT your warm as toast. NEVER EVER use ANY unit without a TANK-them mixing valves screw up and then you get a wonderful burn scar on your back and your buns melted together. The very simple hose screen prior to water pickup at the pump is the secret--keeps ALL TINY GRANULES OF SAND OUTTA THE SYSTEM.Tons a au 2 u 2-John
    Sticks, 63bkpkr and russau like this.

Mar 2007
    1 times

Thanks guys, ill see what i can put together,good info as alwayz

Mar 2007
    1 times

2 questions,,, 1st question, do i need a control valve before the cold water enters the coiled copper line or after the hot water comes out going into a cooling/reserve tank??

2nd question, my engine block is not treaded for a muffler, my muffler bolts on, how should i go about riggin up a piece of pipe to coil the copper around??

us
    Oct 2007
    South Carolina
    E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
    631 times

Weld mounting plates on each end of the pipe, make a template to get the bolt pattern right.

Skip
    SEEK AND YEA SHALL FIND and when you do THANK GOD!!!

Mar 2007
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by AU Seeker
    Weld mounting plates on each end of the pipe, make a template to get the bolt pattern right.

Skip
    Gottcha, thanks

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6586 times

Big-the valve it at the pump-I use a simple swamp cooler valve(brass is best). The filter is also there also . I use the valve spicket with the built in swamp cooler outlet. I put everything in 1 place to eliminate problems WAY before they can happen.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4304 times

thanks John!

us
    Sep 2007
    Sal Sagev Adaven
    E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,, GB PRO.
    45 times
    Metal Detecting

I would just get a better suit, it sounds like ya need a semidry or drysuit. also try some kind of skins under the suit,Try posting a add in the wanted section of the forum , someone should have a warmer suit laying around they don't use.
    I'll just follow you with My E-trac, Sov GT,or GoldBug Pro.

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    I've used them for over 35 years--NEVER BURNED--and really like them. Remove muffler and connect with flexible exhaust to 50" of 1/4 copper tubing wrapped round like a good ol'still. Insert into 4' pipe with 1 hole for air in and multiple holes for out. Good ol'auto smog lines work the best,handle heat and don't turn to mush. Then into a 1/2 gallon min. mixer tank to regulate heat,then down a tube tied to your airline with a t fitting-1 in--one for each arm and one to shoot down the crack a your back to keep your feet and hands warm. Yes with a good one you may look like the pillsbury doughboy with warm water gushing out of your booties,gloves and feet--BUT your warm as toast. NEVER EVER use ANY unit without a TANK-them mixing valves screw up and then you get a wonderful burn scar on your back and your buns melted together. The very simple hose screen prior to water pickup at the pump is the secret--keeps ALL TINY GRANULES OF SAND OUTTA THE SYSTEM.Tons a au 2 u 2-John
    Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Nov 2012
    795 times
    Just drink lots and lots of coffee every so often just do a release and you will feel the warmth.
    N-Lionberger and holepuncher like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links