Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg please dont get mad at me...but when I read your header, the first thing that came to my mind, was some guy walking round with a big bulging lump on his tush.... sorry didnt mean to make fun..but that honestly was my first thought.. :icon_scratch:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Googling Dave McCracken or just DIY wetsuit heater. I remember reading an article a year or so back. All I can really remember they had a coil around the exhaust & no way to control the flow & burned himself. Jeeze I hate that let me get a little more coffee in me & I'll see if I can come up with more for you.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i think most of your bigger mining supply stores sell them. over on www.49ermike.com they refered to them and who sells them.i think they even had plans to make them. just remember to use a tempering can to mix the water so you wont get scalded.small peices of sand /canwill get sucked up by the pump and block the tubeing,then you could get scalded if you dont use this water tempering can.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the tubing is usually 1/4 poly that you slip down the front/back of your suit.this way if the water temp starts getting to warm you can pull it out real fast to keep from getting burnt. keep it simple!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used them for over 35 years--NEVER BURNED--and really like them. Remove muffler and connect with flexible exhaust to 50" of 1/4 copper tubing wrapped round like a good ol'still. Insert into 4' pipe with 1 hole for air in and multiple holes for out. Good ol'auto smog lines work the best,handle heat and don't turn to mush. Then into a 1/2 gallon min. mixer tank to regulate heat,then down a tube tied to your airline with a t fitting-1 in--one for each arm and one to shoot down the crack a your back to keep your feet and hands warm. Yes with a good one you may look like the pillsbury doughboy with warm water gushing out of your booties,gloves and feet--BUT your warm as toast. NEVER EVER use ANY unit without a TANK-them mixing valves screw up and then you get a wonderful burn scar on your back and your buns melted together. The very simple hose screen prior to water pickup at the pump is the secret--keeps ALL TINY GRANULES OF SAND OUTTA THE SYSTEM.Tons a au 2 u 2-John :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
2 questions,,, 1st question, do i need a control valve before the cold water enters the coiled copper line or after the hot water comes out going into a cooling/reserve tank??

2nd question, my engine block is not treaded for a muffler, my muffler bolts on, how should i go about riggin up a piece of pipe to coil the copper around??

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weld mounting plates on each end of the pipe, make a template to get the bolt pattern right.

Skip

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big-the valve it at the pump-I use a simple swamp cooler valve(brass is best). The filter is also there also . I use the valve spicket with the built in swamp cooler outlet. I put everything in 1 place to eliminate problems WAY before they can happen.Tons a au 2 u 2-John :thumbsup:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would just get a better suit, it sounds like ya need a semidry or drysuit. also try some kind of skins under the suit,Try posting a add in the wanted section of the forum , someone should have a warmer suit laying around they don't use.

Kozygold77

Greenie
Dec 27, 2018
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used them for over 35 years--NEVER BURNED--and really like them. Remove muffler and connect with flexible exhaust to 50" of 1/4 copper tubing wrapped round like a good ol'still. Insert into 4' pipe with 1 hole for air in and multiple holes for out. Good ol'auto smog lines work the best,handle heat and don't turn to mush. Then into a 1/2 gallon min. mixer tank to regulate heat,then down a tube tied to your airline with a t fitting-1 in--one for each arm and one to shoot down the crack a your back to keep your feet and hands warm. Yes with a good one you may look like the pillsbury doughboy with warm water gushing out of your booties,gloves and feet--BUT your warm as toast. NEVER EVER use ANY unit without a TANK-them mixing valves screw up and then you get a wonderful burn scar on your back and your buns melted together. The very simple hose screen prior to water pickup at the pump is the secret--keeps ALL TINY GRANULES OF SAND OUTTA THE SYSTEM.Tons a au 2 u 2-John :thumbsup:

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just drink lots and lots of coffee every so often just do a release and you will feel the warmth.:coffee2:

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey not to get away from question but a simple search for heated wetsuits turned up a ton of options. I know the cost may be a factor but comfort and safety is important .

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The heater on my 4" appears to have been made similar to the ones shown in these instructions HOW_TO_BUILD_WET_SUIT_HEATER

not listed in the literature is the plumping, I'll try to get a picture of mine, the water comes from the hose bib on the pump, first is an inline filter to get the fine sand n silt out of the mixing valve, following the filter is a T fitting, one line goes to the heater, the other goes as the cold water line to a thermostatic mixing valve, you roughly set the desired temperature and it mixes the hot water off the heater with cold water from the T accordingly, after that it goes to a steam tank which is a PVC pipe tank of about half a gallon volume that helps stop steam bursts should the mixing valve be clogged by fine particulates. From there it goes down a hose to your suit.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
walk through of water heater system with Chris Handegard (RIP)

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's my water heater, I only use it early in the season.
DSC05740.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread