What does gold look like with mercury on it???

pulltab hatr

Jan 7, 2008
delaware,ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Upvote 0

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
pulltab hatr said:
Does anyone have pics of this??? Today I headed back to the river and found a few more flakes of gold and I keep finding these flakes that are bendable and don't break. They are around the size of the gold I am finding but they are grey. Can anyone please help me out???
I've got lots! Here.

Attachments

• mercury 022.jpg
    mercury 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,112
  • mercury 019.jpg
    mercury 019.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5,138
  • mercury 022.jpg
    mercury 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 751
OP
OP
pulltab hatr

pulltab hatr

Jan 7, 2008
delaware,ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Thanks for the pics. What I have are flakes that you can bend and bend and they won't break. They are a dull grey color. No idea what they are but I am finding them in the same place I am finding gold and where panning they stay in place just like gold. ??? ??? ???

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be lead.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you've got some lead from bullets. Do you find shotgun shot with it? You can always break out the madnifying glass and take a look after you break a piece in two. If you're not sure a gold test kit should pretty well answer it for sure. Or try heating it with a flame. Lead melts at a lower temp than gold. If you're finding lead keep a good eye out for the goodies.

OP
OP
pulltab hatr

pulltab hatr

Jan 7, 2008
delaware,ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Yeah I think I am finding a lot of shotgun shot. There are little round balls in about every pan of dirt after I pan it out. Lots of them.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pulltab hatr said:
Yeah I think I am finding a lot of shotgun shot. There are little round balls in about every pan of dirt after I pan it out. Lots of them.

Well, if that's the deal then I think if there is any color to be had you should be in it! Also, now that I think of it if you have a drop or two of nitric acid you can take it outside and put a drop of nitric on it. Being VERY CAREFUL to stay up wind of the fumes! If it disappears it's more than likely lead if not it'll disolve the mercury off. But my guess is it's part of a bullet slug. Hope that helps you! BTW I could be wrong, you'll never see expert and my name together :D

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
If the mercury is amalgamated to the gold....simply use heat.....IE a propane torch, heat the subject matter with a torch for a few minutes. if it is lead it will melt at 600 plus degrees and regroup when cool. if the mercury is on the gold the torch will vaporize the mercury off of the gold and leave the gold very HOT, the gold will retain its natural color. Trust me......I love to melt the stuff.

All ways do this in a well vented area or outside and use the proper eye and body protection.

db

Attachments

• nite pour.jpg
    nite pour.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 841

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Push down in a wet pan very hard on the item and lead will usually leave a whitish/greyish streak. Nitric will answer the question in seconds too-Tons a au 2 u2 -John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DanB said:
If the mercury is amalgamated to the gold....simply use heat.....IE a propane torch, heat the subject matter with a torch for a few minutes. if it is lead it will melt at 600 plus degrees and regroup when cool. if the mercury is on the gold the torch will vaporize the mercury off of the gold and leave the gold very HOT, the gold will retain its natural color. Trust me......I love to melt the stuff.

All ways do this in a well vented area or outside and use the proper eye and body protection.

db
Yeah thats all fine and dandy if you know what you are doing.If you dont I would not recommend it at all,it isnt worth losing your life.Its no joke vaporized mercury will kill you.

cali209

Nov 13, 2007
Northern California
We are working an old hydraulic mining area with lots of mercury...

The lead and mercury look the same so we save it all to sort out later.

There is also mercury balls that are the size of shotgun bb's and look the same sometimes.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Lead oxidizes a whitish grey (almost powdery looking), so I usually streak the stuff across the bottom of my pan like John suggests above. If it leaves whitish grey streak, it's lead, if not, I look closer...

Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions