Solar powered dredge.

creek miner

May 5, 2008
Hi guys,
I'm new on this forum. Well I have a question for the experienced dredge owners. I would like to make if possible a 2" dredge, but instead of using the gasoline powered engine, I would like to use solar powered motor. Now I live in California, so the sun wouldn't be problem My question is, how big electric motor, and how many solar panels ( volts and watts) I should need to operate that 2" dredge. Or is it possible to make it solar powered?
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eight 100 watt panels in full sun should give you one horsepower.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning on going solar with my model 5 recirc fluid bed. Each 800 gph bilge pump runs 36 watts or a total of 108 watts for the three needed. So with other losses figured in, I'd need a 150 watt panel to keep the battery full. It's easily doable, but the cost for the panel and controller is looking like $800-1000.

Look at a Goldsnare dredge. It runs on a 1200 gph bilge pump for about 60 watts of usage. A Coleman 55W solar panel kit at ~$250 could keep it running a tad slower than a battery, or at least slow the drain on the battery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread