ANY GOLD IN LOWER MICHIGAN!!!!!!!

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The River Raison...Dundee to Monroe...small nuggets found often...

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the winter you should still be able to get material. In WI this winter, I was able to get material in Dec, Jan and Feb. The streams may not freeze up fully if they have good flow, but they are sassafrassa$@%#&*! COLD! Also the beaches that have black sand will yield an inch or so of sand on the surface. It may not be a lot of material, but it's something, and every trip yielded a color or two.

Jdub15

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor, mi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crewsader, you found THAT gold in michigan and on the Clinton river?

magnumed

Jul 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg I found what I think are gold flakes in southern Michigan, how can I test it to be sure? Thanks ahead of time. I'm new at this.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1476254 I found what I think are gold flakes in southern Michigan, how can I test it to be sure? Thanks ahead of time. I'm new at this.

Beginners often cannot identify gold in a pan. If it looks like gold in full and shaded light it probably is and that is my first go to when I am not sure.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like foil like flakes, that could be mica. Do they dance around, or do they stay put when fanning the black sand off in the pan?

magnumed

Jul 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginners often cannot identify gold in a pan. If it looks like gold in full and shaded light it probably is and that is my first go to when I am not sure.

It does look like gold in the shade. It is more of a foil type material. Some floats around and the larger pieces stay put in the pan. Will a gold test kit tell me or is it a waste of money? This is all new to me and know zero about this. Thanks for the help.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's mica, though I do see a couple that might be gold. Take one and squash it with your fingernails. Does it turn brown? Try crushing with a duckbill pliers. (flat jaws, no serrations) Does it crunch? If either, it's not gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or use a pin or the edge of a quarter. Mica crushes, gold doesn't. Simple :)

Bad_Vision

Apr 24, 2013
Allendale
Detector(s) used
Intuition
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone still active in lower Michigan? Wife and I are looking to get out to some nice spots to get material. I have a gold cube and Miller table so need some cons and hoping to do it as a group outing, just seems funner that way!

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My parents have a place on Beaver Island in the middle of lake Michigan. One of their friends has some luck beach mining black sand so I'd imagine there's gold in the black sand on the main land as well.

Hard rock mining is coming back in Michigan with the Nickle/ copper underground Eagle mine is in Marquette County running full bore with an approved expansion. Copperwood is a Copper/ silver underground project set to break ground this year or next towards Wakefield. Back 40 project in the south central UP is a zinc/ gold open pit project with 3 or 4 permits approved. Cleveland Cliffs is still around in Marquette county with their iron mines, I can't keep straight what's shut down and what's they still have in production, my parents mentioned something about Michigan attempting to entice them to reopen one of the closed mines. Highland Copper has put in to lease 4,000 acers in Marquette and Iron counties for exploration. It's an exciting time for mining in da UP.

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone still active in lower Michigan? Wife and I are looking to get out to some nice spots to get material. I have a gold cube and Miller table so need some cons and hoping to do it as a group outing, just seems funner that way!

Michigan has an active GPAA chapter, our first outing is memorial weekend.
Go to michGPAA for more info
And a facebook page "michigan's awesome GPAA"

If I can help any further let me know.
Bob M

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to hit one of those tailings ponds at CCI. Bet there's gold in there with the waste rock.

sandyjoyful

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, I live in Ishpeming,MI in Marquette county, just started panning near the old ropes mine, will let you know if i find anything.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you have permission! There's no public land anywhere around there.

Have heard good things though.

Bad_Vision

Apr 24, 2013
Allendale
Detector(s) used
Intuition
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Michigan has an active GPAA chapter, our first outing is memorial weekend.
Go to michGPAA for more info
And a facebook page "michigan's awesome GPAA"

If I can help any further let me know.
Bob M
It would be great if the kept the page up to date!

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what you are looking for, the page is updated on a regular basis, and the facebook page is active.
I am ready for some dirt therapy on Saturday,and hanging with some good people.

Hit me up direct, [email protected] and I will try my best to help
Bob M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread