dredgers help please

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a new 5 hp brigs,the down side is it has a keyed shaft .i need to get a threaded shaft ,or convert the threaded shaft so i can mount a pump on it.any thoughts on converting it ,getting a different crank-shaft,or maybe finding a pump that will work on a keyed shaft.to run a three inch dredge.i have 2 dredges both are down ,and i would like to get at least 1 going ,prefferably with the new motor.any help is appriciated.and please don't say contact KEENE they did not seem to helpfull .

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovejoy connector to a keene pedestal pump---or---sell the thing and get what ya want---or--huge hassle to buy from briggs a threaded shaft--tear the thing apart-REAL PAIN-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yep, Keene just wants to sell you a pedestal pump.

It's probably the most practical solution, though.

Good luck!
rmptr

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
strickman said:
i have a new 5 hp brigs,the down side is it has a keyed shaft .i need to get a threaded shaft ,or convert the threaded shaft so i can mount a pump on it.any thoughts on converting it ,getting a different crank-shaft,or maybe finding a pump that will work on a keyed shaft.to run a three inch dredge.i have 2 dredges both are down ,and i would like to get at least 1 going ,prefferably with the new motor.any help is appriciated.and please don't say contact KEENE they did not seem to helpfull .

Most any machine shop with a lathe and welder can whip up an adapter for this. I wouldn't convert what you have now, since it would be a pain to try to reverse a conversion if you ever want, or need to use the B&S with another pump with a keyed shaft. An adapter would avoid that situation by being removable should you ever run into that situation.

If I were in that situation, I'd hunt up an old steel pulley, that fits the B&S shaft and weld a bolt/nut, male/female end as needed to fit the pump shaft. Alternatively, instead of a pulley, use a couple of pieces of pipe, one slit down the side with a section missing from the circumference and another unslit piece of pipe over top of it that and welded together to allow for a key and drilled for a set screw. Then weld the other piece to match your threaded pump shaft. The end result of a home made adapter wouldn't be balanced and I would suggest putting a stationary wire mesh shield around it, just in case it flies apart. (Wire mesh is cheaper than hospital bills.)

F.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: WOW--1/2 dozen emails-what is a lovejoy connector. It is a 3 piece unit. 2 seperate pieces(which fit onto,easy to mix different size shafts too, the shaft of engine and pump) with a big rubber shock absorber in between to absorb the shaking of 2 seperate objects. Otherwise adios to engine and pump bearings. They are carried in many hardware stores and are much cheaper way to go. WITHOUT IT YOU WILL KILL THE ENGINE. :thumbsup:-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

rockhead

Jan 25, 2008
Yosemite Ca
Detector(s) used
Gmt, Gold Bug 2, Infinium
For the price I would buy this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-5hp-Briggs-St...82248QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

and sell the other one. If you don't have a pedestal pump you'll have to fabricate a mount for it then the lovejoy can be a llittle spendy.
If your going to float it you'll have to float the extra weight too.(not too much) But when your carrying the motor down to the river extra weight can suck.
Just my 2 cents
Good luck
Jay

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Those are some cheap motors Jay thanks for the link.

Thanks John for the explanation on the lovejoy, they look like this picture below

Attachments

• lovejoy.gif
    lovejoy.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 851
OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't a lovejoy connector and a free standing pump stick out to far?

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
The problem with the flexible connection is that the impeller of the keene pump mounted on the side of the motor relies upon the engine output shaft for support. A flex coupling won't work.

Custom machining an adapter at a qualified machine shop would most likely be cost - prohibitive.
Those guys are there to earn a living with their very expensive machinery.

Pedestal pump is the best solution.

Actually, the motor is now the cheapest item in the equation...
It's a high production item, and the pumps are not.

HD sells a 6.5hp OHV for $129.00... Not a clue about their longevity or reliability.

Best,
rmptr

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about calling around to some of the mower shops or shops that sell/repair mini-bikes? You might be able to find one willing to do a straight swap for a motor with the shaft you need. Can't shoot ya for askin!

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5/8 threaded shafts aren't to easy to come by,but i would gladly swap.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I've got a couple of the Lovejoy connectors and older style spring units around, but for the cost involved and requirement to keep the motor and pump properly spaced and aligned, (requiring some wasted space), I find I'm usually better off to use simple pulleys and belts.

I'm also not keen on the aluminum version of the Lovejoy connector. Its an invitation to corrosion.

F.

rockhead

Jan 25, 2008
Yosemite Ca
Detector(s) used
Strickman Did you get you gear up and running? I guess the question that no one else asked was whats the problem with the broken dredges? That may be easier to fix than fabricate the gear needed to make the keyed shaft work. I'm going to tell you from personal experiance that lovejoy or belt driven pumps cost you more time and money in the long run. Me and my prospecting partner have a motor setup like this for a 3inch. We bought it for 75 bucks....that was a deal. It came with a briggs 5.5 which was running rough. I replaced it with the 129.00 harbor freight motor (carb freindly california) works great got about 70 hours on the motor now no problem. All the controls and casing looks just like our honda gx200( got to love china) but the down side is that it's huge. The pump sticks out about 8 inches from the motor with the lovejoy connector. The thing is hard to float and a huge pain in the butt to carry it's just more out of balance. Since we only got about 200 bucks in to it we carried it out to a remote location and there it stays.

So all this rambling what's my point. "Do it right once" as my old boss would say. Go cheap on the dredge and it will treat you like a cheap whore. Spend a few bucks do it right and she'll treat you like a lady. Remeber the new motor is going to last a while.

Good luck man hope your back in to soon.
Jay

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the verdict is in,dredge #2 had a stuck valve :'(.but i only had $250 in it,i am going to have a guy rebuild it for $75 ,once that is done i am going to take my sluice box and venturi off of dredge #1,then i will have a hybred gold king /keene 3 " with rebuilt motor ,new hoses,all i need is new foot valve. :thumbsup: then hope fully i can have him get my impellar off dredge #1(side note---------don't trust your buddy to work on a dredge if he is not familliar with one,or can't spell dredge---thats what caused the stuck impellar to start with,amazing how a important a little spacer really is :wink:) once off i will replace with new pump kit,plus one little spacer :thumbsup:take old hoses and gold king sluice and hopefully have 2 dredges going one to run ,and one to sell -------so i can buy a new 3 or 4 " with air.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and the deal about love -joys ,pulleys etc.... is i already had a brand new 5 hp briggs but it has a keyed shaft,if i had a threaded shaft on it i could have it fixed by now,and save money.

rockhead

Jan 25, 2008
Yosemite Ca
Detector(s) used
Yeah but the shaft on your new motor is 3/4 and your pump is 5/8 went that route once. Good luck man. Hopefully it all goes smooth and quick.

OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a 61/2 hp 3"pump from max tool $209.99 this should solve the problem.thanks for all the info.if this works good i might get another one for my other 3" dredge.if it is to much they have a 2" for about $139.hopefully i'll be running soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions