Removing material from miners moss

cocrh

Apr 9, 2007
I am having trouble cleaning up the miners moss in my A51 sluice from a test run a few months ago. I used a hose and sprayed it on the moss into the bucket. Then put water pressure underneath to push material out of the moss into the bucket. Seems to still be a bunch stuck in there. Any ideas on getting it cleaned up better then it is now? Thanks

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a tub of water,turn the matt upside down,stretch(from side to side) and slap it repeatedly on the water.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a piece of threaded rod wider then the bucket with nuts and washers.. Drill holes on opposite sides so it fits across the bucket 4=6" down from the top so the rod will be underwater.. Slip a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe over it and fasten in the bucket.. Fill the bucket with water until a 1" or so over the rod and pipe.. Run the MM under it and up.. Then grab the MM on both end and act as your using it to polish the rod.. This will speed thing up for you...
Ray

OP
OP
C

cocrh

Apr 9, 2007
Thanks for all the advice!! I'll try drying and smacking it tomorrow along with the tub of water and hitting the back of it. The threaded rod things seems like it would work too. If the first two don't do the trick off to the hardware store I go ;D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get aggregrate or riffle carpet-problem solved.That lousy moss loads up quick,impacts like cement when a plugup happens or engine stops for fuel--and then adios to everything. Run a test for yourself-then use it for doormat-Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL John...He uses a Sluice why would he need fuel for that? :tongue3:

I like to fold it up then form a "U" for with the lowest point in a bucket shaking it well, do so on both sides.

If still anything in there I let it dry and smack it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After drying I fold it in half and roll it back & forth between my hands over one of those busboy trays, followed by a couple of smacks. Cleans it out pretty good.

My buddy sitting here says throw it in a plastic 5 gal. bucket with a lid & leave it in the back of the pickup on the way home. Guess he might have a good idea! If it'll shake the wing nuts off the drywasher it'd work on Miners moss ;D

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi: One other thing, when using "miners moss" alias Nomad carpet, it tends to shrink some in the cold water which in turn tightens it up, you can lay it out in the sun and it will relax then try to clean or use warm water and stretch in all directions and the material will drop out . Hardrock :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of ways to try. Do them all and find what works best for you.

The MM in my dredge, I don't worry much about it. Usually sometime in the middle of winter after I've gotten through my concentrates, I'll pull it out of the sluicebox, stick it in a dry tub, and beat the crap...I mean...the material out of it as best I can. Sure, there is still some in it, but I'll get to that next winter!

Pan out or process what you get out of it and you'll be suprised what you might find! This same thing goes with regular carpet in your box, too.

Good luck and much color to you!

Lookin

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TAKODA said:
You don't have to use miners moss.I have an A52 with flare I use a good bit.I got rid of the miner moss and put in the V matting the entire length of the sluice.I used the shallow V on the top half and the deep V on the bottom.The riffs and grizz snap in the same.In my own experience I don't think the moss is any more effective.
That may work on fine gold but you cannot have too much miners moss,I guarantee you that.I dont see how you can say ribbs can hold gold better than the "net" the moss provides?To each his own but moss will do you more favors than harm,once gold gets in it it cant escape!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats interesting Takoda,I only use a small piece in my sluice',but run a piece 3/4 of the length of the box on all my dredges,a little different situation with the dredges I guess.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Takoda! :)

Interesting tests, but my tests show the exact opposite!

The MM works better for MY gold I have in my location, which is at best around 4 millimeters in size.
But it goes lower then 100 mesh. Some of that bloody gold goes out of the pan with the black sands!!
(I have tried to pan that out... ;D )

I find the MM to hold the fine gold better then the carpet.

The carpet works better for bigger gold around 2+ mm at least thats my experience.

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
As long as the gold falls out.....who cares about a few bits & pieces of other stuff stuck in there. ::) I have no problem with my moss. It is either in my box catching gold or in the bucket giving me gold. ;D

JW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread