I want to build a good garage sluice set up.

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
I am in a situation where I have time to go to the spots and get the gravel from the right areas but dont have tme to mess with it down at the creek. (besides classifing it done to a manageable size)

Anyhow I am a woodworker and for me half the fun is designing a small system for the garage that the fam can use.

I was thinking 4-6 ft long and maybe a drill pump to recirt the water.

anyone know where I can find some easy plans for something like this? Or any design thoughts?

I know this isnt the best way to do this but it fits my schedule for getting the dirt.

Surfin

Upvote 0

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Been at this a long time, and I've never seen a home-made machine work better than what is already on the market. Gotta figure, they've already done all the R&D to even put it out, so if it is that easy to build something yourself that will work as well, why bother? Gotta look at it like this. Can you build your own? Yep, no question. Will it get the same rate of recovery? Not likely. If it would, you'd have your own company if you didn't infringe on any copyrights. You can find plans to build just about anything you want on the web, but most of them are already outdated by at least a century. Did they work then? Yep. Will they do better than what is out there now? Nope. If all you're interested in is finding some gold with what you've built yourself, go for it. That isn't any different than the guys that still build their own self-bows and knapp their own points to hunt with. For them, it's about the journey more than where you end up. If that's you, I wish you luck. If what you want is a better way to process material, you can do alot better getting something already out there. I'd recommend the Gold Buddy recirculating sluice. I've tested all of them and they have the highest rate of recovery. Good luck.

Randy

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
thanks MTman

I know thats the case but for me its about building it. My opportunity to get out and use it is limited.

Its all about building things with me. I have already taken my MD apart 3 times to see how it works. then I built one for kicks. Its not a whites by anymeans but its at least a BH quicksilver.

I just roll that way. Now If I were out where you are taking 8oz in a weekend my butt wouldnt even play with building anything I would go buy the stuff that worked the best.

Anyhow thanks for the reply I will check out that sluice online and see what I can do.....

Surfin

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Surfin there are a lot of variables into makeing a peice of equipment thatll work for you. theres different setups for different size gold/dust. i make most of my own equipment cause i like to and its a lot cheaper. over on goldminers on yahoogroups Zooka made just what you are asking about. its a 4 inch wide cleanup sluice. do a search in the arcihives for it or just post the question over there to Zooka(David Bryce) he had pictures and results from his running it.

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Surfin, I can certainly understand your reasoning on those points. No different than the approach to any other hobby. I own rifles that I can take a whitetail at a thousand yards with, but I prefer to get up close and personal with them and match "wits" as they say. I did some research on the subject of building your own equipment several years ago when I toyed with the same idea. I ran across a formula that told you how much flow you needed for for the size and shape of your box, rate of drop, and size of material processed. Please don't ask to see it, I can't find it right now. Here are some of the things I learned about the process, tho. Don't make the sluice too wide or long, the bigger the box, the more flow you'll need to move the material, and it increases the number of gallons you'll need to recirculate. The same thing applies to making the box too small and narrow and turning it into a concentrator for cons. The biggest factor I found in any design was the shape of the riffles used. For something to be used around the house, go with a modified Hungarian riffle. They can be made out of either wood or metal, so you should be able to whip some up with a router. I'd suggest classifying the material to 1/4" before running it. For the type of gold you have, you could probably classify to 1/8" and still not miss much, but the quarter will save you some time and not hurt your recovery any. If you try to run bank run material when all you have is small gold, the bigger rocks can knock some out of your box. Now this is only my opinion, so nobody get their panties in a wad, but stay away from miner's moss in the box. For fine gold, you'll do better using a ribbed carpet with a backing instead. It's easier to clean up and you still won't loose anything. In the head of the box, you'll find alot of designs have a deep V style rubber matting. It does give you a quick visual clue as to what you're getting, but I've found it's too hard to clean up quickly to really help your production. I prefer a small section (about six inches) of the same carpet as in the box with expanded metal covering it. If you have your water flow, drop, and material classified, you should be able to recover about 90% of your gold on that first carpet. In fact, when I am running the same type of material, I don't even clean up the main box till I run out of material. OK, pay attention, this is one of the tricks of the trade. If you have an Orange Magnet, you can use it to save yourself a bunch of cleanups. Put your material into the header box, wait till about half of it has made it into the box, and then use the magnet to go thru and pick up the black sands. I do this starting at the top of the box and work my way down, then do it again when the other half has worked it's way down. If you don't use a magnet, you'll have to clean up the whole box when the riffles and the upper carpet are covered in black sand. In some areas, that won't take long. I take what has stuck to the magnet in the upper box and dump it into the lower two riffles of the box to make sure that any gold that got caught up by using the magnet has a chance of dropping back out. Any time you use a magnet, you'll have gold stick to it, even over what got caught up. Don't fight it, it will happen. Depending on the size getting caught up, either pan it out or use a Blue Bowl to recover it. For something like what you're talking about, I wouldn't go over a 1250gph pump. Anything less, you won't be able to run raw material thru it and if you go for more, you'll have to fight washing your box. Just remember that when you are running that type of material, be sure and perk your buckets before running them. If you try and run alot of clay thru the system, everything will get gummed up. It's like everyone else has said, you can find plans on the web for anything, but with your skills, maybe look at using wood designs for some of the metal ones out there. Let us see your designn ideas! Good Luck.

Randy

umpqua_gold

Greenie
Jul 26, 2008
http://49ermike.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=181&topic_id=80106&mesg_id=80106&page=
try the above link, maybe this will help. as far as what mt said, i dont believe that a store bought sluice always gets the best recovery. for instance, i came up with this design, the one in the link, after finding that my storebought keene sluice was losing more gold than it was recovering. but, this was because of the heavy amount of black sands in the area, and the fineness of the gold. the riffles would pack up, and you could literally watch the gold go out the sluice. not now it wont, not with this setup. i do agree that in some areas, a storebought sluice will outperform a homemade, but not all cases are the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread