amalgamating question???

155gunner

Dec 8, 2007
Can anyone tell me what other than gold will turn your mercury a gold color in a copper pan. I covered about half the bottom of my copper pan with a thin layer of mercury and put about an inch of water out of my concentrate bucket. I sprinkle a little sodium hydroxide in with it and let it set. In about an hour the silver color is replaced by a gold color. I can then take a fine paint brush and brush all the color to the side . At that point it is almost a solid. Is this gold or is the sodium reacting with the copper pan or what? Any comments appreciated. BTW, I am fully aware of the hazards of mercury and take all precautions.

Upvote 0

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
My knowledge is very limited on amalgamation, but all that I have read indicated that the mercery covers the gold, not the other way around. In other words, the mercury coats the gold, so that it appears to be silver in color. The gold does not coat the mercury to make it a gold color.

Just my uneducated guess, but I'd say you have something other than gold. As far as what it is??? Hmmm, let me get back to my reading!

I'm sure someone will be able to help you here.

Good luck,
Lookin

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric acid is just as dangerous as any other technique,but the one I use.I use ordinary tin foil but I guess a can would work as well.Dont leave it for too long after you drop the foil in though or the acid will eat the mercury again....need to start the process all over!I dont know about the silver.After your done your gold will have a dull unattractive look to it.I put it in a vial of vinegar and salt and shake it until the gold is clean.The downside in my opinion is the gold comes out really shiny,kind of fake looking if you ask me.Alot of my gold comes out the river with merc on it left over from the oldtimers though so I am left with no choice!

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
use a stainless steel pan or iron, dont use copper or aluminum.

the crud you are pulling off the top is where the mercury is oxidizing with the copper and other metals.

mercury will seperate/thicken when it loads up and become dull , that is when you retort it,(i use nitric acid to remove the silver when im finished)

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread