Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Live near SF Bay Area

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2013
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Has there ever been anything in Sonoma County? I have some rocks I was curious about, but I don't know how much anyone can tell me just by posting pictures. I live in the area near Pine Flat where I knew there were mines, but I believe they were quicksilver. However, they could of mined other things as well.

us
    Jan 2013
    Cottonwood, CA
    93 times
    Prospecting
    I'm in Fairfield and have the same problem. I'm close enough that I can visit Auburn occasionally, so that helps. I've panned all the creeks around this area and found nada. Some locals talk about Calistoga having gold at one time, but not much elsewhere along those valleys. I'd definitely get in touch with Eastbay Gold Prospectors. Alot of resources there and some very helpful people. They meet at 7PM on the first Thursday of each month @ 1965 Colfax st. Concord.

Good luck

Jun 2013
    I don't want to start a mini gold rush in the S.F. area, but there is definitely color in the tributary creeks to San Francisquito Creek. I would just go prospecting in the streams this side of the coast range (possibly the other as well). Spanish found gold in all the local mountainside counties, they weren't loud about it like american prospectors were. A Geologist told me the Santa Cruz mountains were very interesting to him in terms of favorable geology. Most thick black sand layers on the coast have fines in them. Beware of panning or taking anything from the Golden Gate Recreation area, (which includes San Francisco beach). You aren't supposed to take anything from there and can get your stuff confiscated if they feel mean. Across the bay, there are creeks that produce. Check out Mines road on the East side of Mt. Hamilton.
    Hope that helps

us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    Ace 250..garret pro pointer
    937 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stephe View Post
    I don't want to start a mini gold rush in the S.F. area, but there is definitely color in the tributary creeks to San Francisquito Creek. I would just go prospecting in the streams this side of the coast range (possibly the other as well). Spanish found gold in all the local mountainside counties, they weren't loud about it like american prospectors were. A Geologist told me the Santa Cruz mountains were very interesting to him in terms of favorable geology. Most thick black sand layers on the coast have fines in them. Beware of panning or taking anything from the Golden Gate Recreation area, (which includes San Francisco beach). You aren't supposed to take anything from there and can get your stuff confiscated if they feel mean. Across the bay, there are creeks that produce. Check out Mines road on the East side of Mt. Hamilton.
    Hope that helps
    I live in the Santa Cruz mountains out in the wilderness area, maybe will check the streams out...

us
    Apr 2013
    San Anselmo, Ca
    BH, GB2
    700 times
    Prospecting
    In 4th post of link a while back I posted links to a spot on the San Lorenzo 2 miles south of Felton, I never made it there to check it out last trip, I wouldn't expect to find much gold if any, but the guy had a whole operation set up there so there may be some "relic" type stuff around. I still have a bucket of black sand I took from the mouth of the SL river by boardwalk, It was embarrassing grabbing the sand but I couldn't resist lol, I also wanted to check if my goldcube would work with sand and superfines ok. I plan on running it next time I set it up, it's been on my list of things to do mostly because my landlord hates all my random buckets of dirt, lol. Here's the thread: Santa Cruz Ca hunt tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by stephe View Post
    Hope that helps
    That's true there is a layer of tertiary gravels that get eroded right offshore of GG Rec. area at Ocean Beach that only exists for couple of miles, they washed the sands there during the great depression. As well as beaches in Santa Cruz. I personally think there are at least 2 valuable shipwrecks that conveniently fall under their green lines on google earth on north side of bay.
    Last edited by Alex Burke; Jun 20, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
    "The desire of gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4450 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetshooter323 View Post
    I was raised in Walnut Creek from age four, and eight years ago, my wife and I escaped from the tax state of California. At this point I can only pray that you guys still left behind the iron curtain will one day escape like I did and be able to live in a state that can pay it's bills. Seriously though, welcome to Treasure Net.

nuggetshooter, I knew from past posts that I liked you and now I know why, you've escaped and I'm ready to...............63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1972 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbassgold View Post
    Thanks kuger.

I was expecting this answer but was hoping someone had a secret

I don't mind traveling within the greater Bay Area though don't get out to Gold Country much.

no secrets about gold locations in northern calif...

California Gold Locations

Jun 2013
    Check out GOLD GULCH. It is named that for a reason.

us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    937 times
    where is gold gulch?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

us
    Apr 2013
    San Anselmo, Ca
    BH, GB2
    700 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by squiggy View Post
    where is gold gulch?

See post #4 of this thread for directions.
    Santa Cruz Ca hunt tomorrow
    "The desire of gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    937 times
    ok thanks!

Alex Burke likes this.

Sep 2013
    there is a club called the east bay prospecotors that have monthly meetings in concord google them and there ya go great club good bunch of guys
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeple View Post
    I'm in Concord, Ca so from what I can gather from here is Auburn is the best spot, if anyone knows about any trips or group meets ups, I'd be interested, I have NO experience so I'm counting on beginners luck. cheeple@yahoo

Nov 2018
    1 times
    I know this post is old, but I needed to chime in. There is definitely color in Zyante creek above Felton in the Santa Cruz mountains. This pic is about 4 buckets of material I ran through my fluid bed sluice. It's not a lot, but enough to make my weekends enjoyable =) I've panned at the base of Gold Gulch about 3 times now and haven't found anything. Same for Lompico creek, and a couple of tributaries to the San Lorenzo river around Boulder Creek. The history books say there should be color in all of them, but Zyante creek is the only stream around here IClick image for larger version. 

Name:	gold.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	1708015've found anything in. PM me if you want to know more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links