Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Live near SF Bay Area

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area

Live near SF Bay Area

I've been searching high and low to find somewhere in the greater San Francisco Bay Area to hone my gold panning skills with real gold (even if it is a minute amount or dust).

Is anyone familiar with the area or have any suggestions?

I am a newbie but am SO interested in gold prospecting and learning the art of panning.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, rjbassgold

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2758 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Live near SF Bay Area

GOOD LUCK!Head east!!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6643 times

Get out of the bay--cruise east on I-80 up to Auburn. Go to the Auburn Recreation area and enjoy !! Drivers flats off forresthill divide has a so-so road but decent gold to learn with. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

us
    Aug 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks kuger.

I was expecting this answer but was hoping someone had a secret

I don't mind traveling within the greater Bay Area though don't get out to Gold Country much.

us
    Aug 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John
    Get out of the bay--cruise east on I-80 up to Auburn. Go to the Auburn Recreation area and enjoy !! Drivers flats off forresthill divide has a so-so road but decent gold to learn with. Tons a au 2 u 2-John
    <P>
    Thanks, Auburn isn't too far a drive and will try it out next time I go up there.

Maybe I'll take some BBs to a local stream to practice my skills

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    715 times

Believe there's some gold in the Santa Cruz mountains.Any BLM ground,who knows.A big chunk of quartz gold was found there many years ago......Also gold bearing veins have been found in San francisco itself,but most of the creeks are filled or built over.Some of the counties north of the city have small gold deposits.........Dave

us
    Aug 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area

Quote Originally Posted by dave wiseman
    Believe there's some gold in the Santa Cruz mountains.Any BLM ground,who knows.A big chunk of quartz gold was found there many years ago......Also gold bearing veins have been found in San francisco itself,but most of the creeks are filled or built over.Some of the counties north of the city have small gold deposits.........Dave
    <P>This is exactly what I'm trying to research but am having a hard time finding anything on the topic.

Thank you for the post and for bringing some validity to my hours of searching the web

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    715 times

rj,Gold districts ofCalifornia..Bulletin 193........San Francisco Beach...gold occurs as fine grains in the black sands on the beach at San francisco.from 1938-50,gold was produced at the beach by people using small washing plants.From 1938-41 the recorded production was $13,000.The most productive part of the beach was south of the old Fleishacker zoo,and the gold most plentiful after heavy winter storms.several narrow gold bearing quartz veins have been found in metamorphic rock in the general area.......gold was $35 an ounce then,so that's over $300,000 that was reported at todays price,butthey probably would'nt let you work it.Every county has a mining and mineral report....Lot's of books,bulletins,reports available at the libraries,especially the Bancroft at Berkeley.Even Sonoma has gold.Do the research ...Most likely the motherlode area's are your best bet for what limited access there is.Perthaps join a club ..........Dave
    Caribou369 likes this.

us
    Aug 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this post. I found the article and did some research based on it and found a little stretch of beach that I'm going to check out later next week. I'll let you know how it goes and even if it is just a small bit of gold dust, I will be happy

-rjbassgold

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    715 times

rj,there's lot's of fellows on the various gold forums that live within an hour of Sacramento in gold country,perhaps if you post on some of those forums someone would be kind enough to take you under their wing.....lot's of how to books in any large library.Sme of the counties that have only small deposits of gold could be a good deasl if you canget on the property seeing as they haven't been worked in who knows when.If you want info on other forums and or a few good easy reading books,post me at dwiseman95222@lycos.com

Jan 2013
    I'm in Concord, Ca so from what I can gather from here is Auburn is the best spot, if anyone knows about any trips or group meets ups, I'd be interested, I have NO experience so I'm counting on beginners luck. cheeple@yahoo

us
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Jul 2005
    Colorado Springs
    Tesoro LST, Tejon, Whites GMT, Makro Gold Kruzer, Falcon MD20, Fisher F-Pulse, Garrett Pro Pointer AT.
    328 times
    Prospecting
    I was raised in Walnut Creek from age four, and eight years ago, my wife and I escaped from the tax state of California. At this point I can only pray that you guys still left behind the iron curtain will one day escape like I did and be able to live in a state that can pay it's bills. Seriously though, welcome to Treasure Net.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeple View Post
    I'm in Concord, Ca so from what I can gather from here is Auburn is the best spot, if anyone knows about any trips or group meets ups, I'd be interested, I have NO experience so I'm counting on beginners luck. cheeple@yahoo
    Alex Burke likes this.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    A strong prospecting club is East Bay Prospectors. they have a website and are meeting in Concord.

us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    Ace 250..garret pro pointer
    937 times
    I was raised in Lafayette when only 700 people lived there...was a farm/ranch area then..bet some old maps would help in that area..I now live in Santa Cruz mountains ..found some old artifacts ,no real gold yet!

Jul 2012
    22 times
    Check out the East Bay chapter of the GPAA and the Delta Gold Diggers, both groups are very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links