wanna start panning.

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
TreasureAce,

You should check out www.GPAA.com. Its probably exactly what you need if you live in the USA. They have places to go panning in almost every state and they have outings and help newbies as well. Cost for a years membership is about $70.00 which is a steal. Everything you find, you get to keep. Hope this helps you.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
join the gpaa, you get a goldtrapper pan, a snuffer bottle, and a video on how to pan + places to go and keep all gold you find,ive been a member for years and love it, so ck. it out at gpaa .com whitt459 ps just $67.50 and they ship within 5 days ( The Buzzard Special ) brought back by Tom Massey this year

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Willy

Get a Garrett Super Sluice gold pan. That's all you need in the way of pans. I've used on for years and even do my finishing with it. A number of other pans try to copy the Super Sluice, but they're second rate at their best. Garrett actually has a patent on the design and that's why you don't see other pans with those honkin' big riffles. ..Willy. BTW, it's also a FAST pan.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda agree with you TAKODA... the main benefits I see to a club is that they seem to give you more options with access to private working claims. I'm not exactly sure where to start outside of some of the creeks & streams alongside roads or highways.
I've also heard great things about the Trinity bowl. I've just got a normal White's pan, which I intend on using next weekend in Alabama. I'm not sure if I'll find much, if anything at all... but I'm excited to at least give it a shot when I'm not detecting. From what I've seen, you can even find gold with a frisbee if you don't have a pan. Of course a gold pan would be better in the long run.

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TAKODA said:
Your right.You can use grandmas pie pan to wash out gold.Beat it up some and go.Say your gona be pass'in through Alabama huh.You might want to ride around off I-20.Maybe around exit 199.You could ride towards Hollis crossroads on Hwy #9.You know ...it might be worth a look in some water between 199 and the cross roads.In Alabama you can walk the water a free man.You might want to start out from a public road or such.You know...maybe.The water is dadgum cold right now,keep that in mind.
Luck to Ya.

Hey, thanks for the info! I've never tried panning before... so I'm pretty excited to give it a go! I probably won't just be passing through, but staying 2 or 3 days at my grandmother's house in the Lanette/Valley area off I-85, right close to the GA border. I'm not sure how far that is from the area you were telling me about, but I'll look it up and maybe try to hit it on my way down. I believe the closest place that I might find some gold would be Tallapoosa, which is about 45 min's north of there. If you have any other advice, outside of not freezing to death, I'm all ears! lol

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, if I take I-20 to Hwy 431 down to Lanette... I can definitely visit that place your telling me about!
That's pretty exciting!!!

Bran <><

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
TAKODA said:
If you want to start panning....start panning.You don't need to spend your money on some "Club" ; you don't need'em.If you want to start panning get yourself a Trinity bowl and take the time to learn how to use it.There is none better.Gona be alot of people disagree with this reply.But give it an honest try.You can come back and call me a liar later on.I'll live...and still say the same thing.
Luck to Ya.
I don't know of any GPAA state chapters that have dues or charge for anything.The Trinity pan is a great pan,although somewhat heavy.The main thing to remember Bran,is not wash your gold out with the sand.Flour gold will still be in that pan when it looks like there is only a tablespoon of black sand left.When you get down to that last black sand,get it all on one side then thump that side with your fingers and the sand will move away leaving the gold.I think our next outing here will be in Mexico,Mo in Apr,I think and you are certainly welcome to attend.That's the moprospecters.com.I've been a member for about 5-6yrs whenever it started.Another chapter closer to you is the http://gpaachapteroftheozarks.org/.You do not have to be a member of the GPAA to join a chapter.Goodluck with gold and with your school,you've already had real luck with that girlfriend.See ya

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
The main thing to remember Bran,is not wash your gold out with the sand.Flour gold will still be in that pan when it looks like there is only a tablespoon of black sand left.When you get down to that last black sand,get it all on one side then thump that side with your fingers and the sand will move away leaving the gold.I think our next outing here will be in Mexico,Mo in Apr,I think and you are certainly welcome to attend.That's the moprospecters.com.I've been a member for about 5-6yrs whenever it started.Another chapter closer to you is the http://gpaachapteroftheozarks.org/.You do not have to be a member of the GPAA to join a chapter.Goodluck with gold and with your school,you've already had real luck with that girlfriend.See ya

Well I didn't know you had your hand in panning as well as detectin?! lol Guess I should've had you show me some pointers back at CTH2... :)
I'll do my best to not let that flour gold go. I was watching a YouTube video earlier that showed how to do exactly what you're saying. I'd love to just see a little color... even if it's only a few specks. I've never panned before, and I'm darn excited to try for the first time!!

Definitely let me know about that outing in April!! I'd love to try and make it if I'm able to! If I end up getting hooked panning, I may try to join up with one of those groups. Well school is almost out! I have my final exams this week, then I'm leaving for Florida after my final shift at work on Saturday morning (and picking up my check!) And I definitely did luck out with her... I don't think I could've asked for a sweeter fiancee!!! ;D

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the tips TAKODA!! I'll have to get a pick & 5 gallon bucket before I leave. I may carry some dirt out to pan after I leave, if I end up finding anything in the sample pans... I'm really getting anxious now, even though I feel like such a newb! I'm looking at some sat images of that area you suggested, and I see a couple side roads off of 9 that bridge across a winding creek/river. I'm assuming that's probably where I should start....

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks... I really appreciate the info! :)

Bran <><

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Willy, I am not certain a Garrett super sluice is a good pan for a kid? Might be a bit to large. ???

But the Garrett line pans are good. :thumbsup:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Urban Prospector said:
I've yet to ever see "the Pick and Shovel Gazette" do the still print it?
yes the pick and shovel are still printed but not untill something changes. ie ,claims close or open up. new members get one with their membership package. for me, they get few and far between. i guess some of them get "lost" in the mail????? call GPAA and theyll mail another.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Don't think I've ever received the Pick & Shovel either, but I get the mag every two months.

godisnum1 said:
And Eathan, I really like your site! It's very professional and has everything that would be needed for prospecting!
Thanks!
Thanks Bran, much apreciated.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathan said:
Thanks Bran, much apreciated.

You're welcome... anytime! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions