GPS Help

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I'm thinking about getting a gps for spring time. And I have found two models that may fit my budget sometime soon I hope.

Can someone tell me if one is really much better than the other and why.

I watched video, and read some on both unites. But this is a little over my head. I had an old gps years ago, but nothing like these.

First on the list.
Garmin eTrex Vista HCx
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-Etrex-Vista-Hcx-Gps/6015174

Next.
Delorme Earthmate PN-30
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11085573&findingMethod=rr

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I have the blue e-trek legend for several years.the receive is lousy.I read some reviews on the vista you
are considering and the receive is solid.I am a fan of garmin despite my e-trek's receive.I love my street pilot(several years of use).you get what you pay for and wished I spent the extra money at the
time.my street pilot was spare no expense and very happy.both units built very well(besides e-trek lousy receive).read further on the reviews on both units if you did not.I did not check out the delorme
but the garmin has nice features and I am considering buying one myself.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
solx nys said:
I have the blue e-trek legend for several years.the receive is lousy.I read some reviews on the vista you
are considering and the receive is solid.I am a fan of garmin despite my e-trek's receive.I love my street pilot(several years of use).you get what you pay for and wished I spent the extra money at the
time.my street pilot was spare no expense and very happy.both units built very well(besides e-trek lousy receive).read further on the reviews on both units if you did not.I did not check out the delorme

I have an older streetpilot and was getting close to replacing it because I kept getting "Lost satellite reception" messages... I decided to try an external antenna, which I mounted inside on the dashboard up near the front of the windshield. This is now an entirely different beast. Now I get a solid hookup to, 10 satellites and many times I'll have all 12..

I'd highly recommend a Gilsson external antenna. Around $25 delivered from ebay.

Sorry, I probably got carried away a little.

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
rwsnc said:
solx nys said:

I have an older streetpilot and was getting close to replacing it because I kept getting "Lost satellite reception" messages... I decided to try an external antenna, which I mounted inside on the dashboard up near the front of the windshield. This is now an entirely different beast. Now I get a solid hookup to, 10 satellites and many times I'll have all 12..

I'd highly recommend a Gilsson external antenna. Around $25 delivered from ebay.

Sorry, I probably got carried away a little.

Thats really good news, I never thought about an external antenna. I guess a body could do some mods on a lesser model, and add a jack, to plug an external antenna into a handheld, mount a 18" antenna on your a backpack, and plug it into the handheld.

I'm going to keep reading reviews and find the best unsit for the money.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
so far I have not come across an antenna mod for my blue legend.I was thinking of opening up the case and fiddle with what I beleive is the antenna.

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
solx nys said:
so far I have not come across an antenna mod for my blue legend.I was thinking of opening up the case and fiddle with what I beleive is the antenna.

This will work for you, if your in or near your car. It could be made to carry with you with an external light weight lipo bttery.
It recieves the gps signal then boost it so your gps will get a better signal.

"GPS Reradiating Antenna Kit"
http://www.tri-m.com/products/systems/widegps.html

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

got the message thks.

interesting but it negates my portability.I rather get a new one with the latest chipset and a color
screen.

I am thinking garmin dakota 20 or the 60 csx so far.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Delorme PN-40, the PN-60 just came out. I almost purchased the e-trac but read some bad reviews, I did not want any hassles. With the PN-series whether its a,PN-20, 30, 40, or 60 you can purchase for 29.99 all the map views, aerial, satellite, etc. You can download these into a Topo USA 8.0 map onto your computer where you can manage and view, add way points, and send all info back and forth between handheld and computer, to cool. Arty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread