Looking for a good handheld GPS unit for Detecting. Any tips?

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Garmin units but you would have to visit their website as the newer models are out. :thumbsup:

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the instruction manual first ...
accuracy and setteling time for SPECIFIED POSITION READING
Battery Life
Is it REQUIRED to be Waterproof
Is interface to laptop PC a requirement (now or in future)
Advanced cost usually adds maping features and color display -- what do you want to really do -- follow its directions or locate and log where you are --- and to what precision -- most are going to be 10 to 20 FT in reasonable time.
Ifinder units at sporting goods stores are under $100 and work OK (to get you in the area). Surveying type accuracy costs big bucks and usually requires 6 channels.
Always carry extra batteries.

Go buy golf T's (pack of 250) and drill small hole to insert wire-brad into end (drill press and flip open jig)... make a bunch and use them as markers. Believe it or not, works pretty good if you put pattern in ground to mark location for future investigation (they are almost invisible, but give marker pattern to metal detector, can use copper wire or brads if non-metal mode wanted). Wood dowels or short 1x2 (sharpened point) with nails inserted in top will also work good, but may require hammer to drive into ground. Top may be painted, if you want a visible marker. Home Depot has 10 and 12 inch galvenized spikes and if you look closely there are sometimes some 6 to 8 inch nails (may get a little flack for using those though, not to mention next metal detectorist digging them up).

Regardless, take a compass (liquid filled) and make a bearing map to landmarks to get you to right starting point. Drag out old boy scout manual on map making, or military survival maping skills. Topo maps are available on web or use Google Earth / Microsoft Terraserver. Delux GPS units allow downloading of topo maps into unit, to display trails, etc. Check out National Gographic Mapping Software Packages -- (Half-Price Books Sometimes, REI Always)

OP
OP
Corpsegrinder

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+
Good questions...

Laptop yes, waterproof no, Color Display, Yep! mostly map and mark where i am..

I find a lot of parks on Google maps, and use my Google Earth to mark them. but when your out in the woods, find something and want to make a position mark and note is a big plus.. i used to play poker with a guy who owns a surveyor company. Can ask what he uses. I havent seen him in awhile but i should look him up..

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Magellan Triton 400 at Wal Mart for $109. It has a color display, takes an SD card to hold whatever maps you download, and interfaces nicely with the computer with the free Vantage Point program. AAA members can get discounts on maps from the Magellan website, and Magellan offers specials from time to time.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a Delorme Earthmate PN-40 I paid $224.00. You can download and save manage way-points and routes, add way-points and transfer them from your computer right to the handheld and also download from handheld to computer. You also can can purchase for $29.99 all the different map views, aerial, satellite etc. Definitely worth it. I use mine for getting to sites and marking boundaries of areas I wish to hunt. Excellent unit, it gets me right on the spot. I think the PN-60 just was released around $399.00. The advantages of the newer unit that would matter to me are, better screen view in direct sunlight and longer battery life. Disadvantages, $175.00 more, that's a lot of batteries. Arty

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corpsegrinder said:
but when your out in the woods, find something and want to make a position mark and note is a big plus..
I use a Garmin, but its nearly worthless in the woods. You dont get enough signal.... >:(
Looking for a GPS that works. Any suggestions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread