Is there an GPS unit that will get me within 10 feet of a site? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is there an GPS unit that will get me within 10 feet of a site?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2019
    New Jersey
    Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
    123 times
    Metal Detecting
    I literally just received my Garmin etrex20 in the mail today. I did a test run in my backyard. I made waypoint 1 my home. And way point 2 the edge of my backyard. The gps signaled I was arriving at my destination at about 10 yards. But once I switched over to the compass. It started bringing me into feet.

us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,800,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    1182 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My CTX will get back to a Find Point within 10 feet for Christ sake...other GPS isn’t that accurate??

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    37349 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have a Garmin GPS64. What I use it for is to mark an "X" where I have found something good in the ground. When I find something nice, I mark an electronic waypoint. Knowing where I was within a few feet, I can zoom in on it and literally walk to the spot within inches.
    TerryC likes this.

us
    Apr 2021
    Jackson, AL
    Garrett ATPro
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    My Garmin GPSMap66s gets me inside of 10 feet.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Carrot, Leshe Digger, Garmin GPSMAP 66s

Apr 2007
    Wisconsin
    Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
    595 times
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it makes a difference where the satellites are that your unit is using. If your tracking satellites that are low on the horizon the accuracy will be less than if you have satellite oriented more overhead. Ideally you'd have a nice triangulation of three to get a good location result. Mine has been as accurate as 9' with WAAS.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to slide in sideways, Totally wore out shouting, Holy ****...What a ride!

Mar 2012
    878 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I pulled up the foundation of an old house that used to be in a field and found settings that I could use with a gps, but have none at this time. went to this field Saturday and couldn't find it. going back this weekend with the map I pulled off the satellite maps.

us
    Caver; Detectorist; Shovel Bum

Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones Nokta Macro SIMPLEX
    4468 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 99thpercentile View Post
    Assuming that you live in the USA and specifically the southern portion of the continental USA, any GPS receiver that has Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) capability and can see one of the two satellites should get you better than 3m. If you are near an airport you may get 1m accuracy.
    Usually around thirteen satellites are dedicated to WAAS, if you are lucky.
    Keep out from underneath heavy timber, and away from direct contact of cliff faces
    and buildings, to get good accuracy.
    Oh, by the way, your Horizontal Datum should be same as when the waypoint
    on the sites were set....could mean hundreds of feet difference...!
    If you used a hard-copy topo map, there will be a notation what everything is set-to
    on the sheet....
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

Jul 2019
    29 times
    I use my old GPS to find places, usually within 10 or 20 feet but the satellites have to be around me right [I agree with Sidevalve45 & eyemustdigtreasure]
    Also, my GPS don't know where North is unless I am walking (or driving) but it tells me the "bearing" so I use a compass.

my old GPS is an etrex Venture Garmin & I really like my compass, it says Silva type 7 NL on it. It is better than my old military one LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links