Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to rei.com and look up their recommendations.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
REI.... Bass pro shop.... cabela's.... they all have entry level units. A Garmin E-trex starts at about $99. TTC

CoastalSChunter

Oct 5, 2011
I will have to say that i just bought a Magellan Triton400 adventure pack, it came with Nat-Geo Topo map software, and its great. id defiantly recommend. :icon_thumright:

sniperman

Aug 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garmin® GPSMAP® 62ST THE BEST AND EASIEST TO USE, LOVE THIS GPS.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOVE my Garmin GPSMAP60 CSX. It's rugged, waterproof to several feet (incase of puddle drops) and you can load street, topo or marine maps.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I just ordered a Garmin Etrex 30 for $249.00 for use in the mountains has a compass that they say you can stand still and it works unlike a lot of the others were you have to move to make it work

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a garmin Etrax its a great GPS. Waterproof and works well. Also alot of Custom map sites that can give you different options.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Do ya have a starting point on those maps? basically need topo's for northern Colorado. Have a garmin gps for the truck so not worried about street maps for it. Have always like the Garmin tried a magellan but didn't like it at all

I use a garmin Etrax its a great GPS. Waterproof and works well. Also alot of Custom map sites that can give you different options.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my E-Trex yesterday for mountain quail opener. Pretty easy but like anything practice helps. I mark where my truck is and go wander. It tracks my steps and I look at the map screen to see what's ahead. You do have to purchase whatever maps you want to use and being a small unit it only holds so many so if you travel to different places within your map range you may have to swap out maps but thats not hard either. You might find more info on the GeoCache Hunting site:Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I used a Garmin Etrax Vista. Used it heaps! Three to four times a week on mountain biking and hunting. Finally after 5 years the rubber surrounds started to expand and fail, possibly from the sun. I tried to take good care of it as much as possible but I wanted a device to use speciffically on my bike so,, all in all,, it did well.
The screen then began to just show a single vertical line a year latter .
I read that it is caused by the small ribbon cable that connects the 2 internal boards ,,,becoming slightly disconnected.
As the rubber was loose as I pulled it apart replugged the cable and away she went again :).
I like my (now non water proof Garmin) as it uses AA batteries, so when out in the field i can feed it batteries rather, than having a unit with a fixed internal battery that only lasts till the internal battery goes flat :)
happy hunting :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions