Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all.

Quick question. I'm looking for an app that I can use on my HTC android phone.

I'm looking to take GPS coordinates off a map & then plug them into an app that will guide me in to a cellar hole in the woods.

I was looking at this app but not sure if it is what I need: GPS Status & Toolbox

Thanks in Advance,
Roger

geodetecting

Feb 13, 2012
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rebel said:
Hey all.

Quick question. I'm looking for an app that I can use on my HTC android phone.

I'm looking to take GPS coordinates off a map & then plug them into an app that will guide me in to a cellar hole in the woods.

I was looking at this app but not sure if it is what I need: GPS Status & Toolbox

Thanks in Advance,
Roger

Hey, I'm creating a APP that will be out soon for Android and iTunes, also is great for Metal Detecting called Geo Detecting, my site here on my profile.

I also like True Bearing APP for Android, works great.

GeoDetecting

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backcountry Navigator has a demo on the market you can try. I am illiterate when it comes to GPS features, and I don't see a place to input coords into it on this limited version but might be on the pro version.

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always cautious of apps that "help" in GPSing a location that you enter as I don't know who can, or cannot, see this info.
Even if a supposed "secure" sight, how do you know for sure that the information you provide on your phone is not shared with others.
Just ask the Verizon customers!
Just saying!!!

morayman

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2013
Sebring,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always cautious of apps that "help" in GPSing a location that you enter as I don't know who can, or cannot, see this info.
Even if a supposed "secure" sight, how do you know for sure that the information you provide on your phone is not shared with others.
Just ask the Verizon customers!
Just saying!!!

I just installed polaris Navigation on my Android phone and Wow! does it work great! Thanks alot dnewbury2 that was a great tip. morayman.......

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip on Polaris! I just installed it. Can't wait to give it a try.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tried Polaris, and it works OK. It uses Google Maps, but appears to work well for driving directions. I've used my cars Garmin for years to do this, and entering coords is easy, and navigating is also easy, both off road and on. Polaris seems to make more of a deal out of it, can't figure out why. Also, the keyboard has a clumsy entry "system" to enter in a (-) for West Longitude; cripes, I can't figure out why they didn't make it easier since there's a lot of users West of Greenwich UK.

I use Back Country Navigator when I'm off road since I like to use USGS topo maps, but it's a PITA to enter coordinates.

I can't figure out why software isn't better written; no one wants to struggle with it since being outdoors is seldom experienced under ideal conditions.

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had been debating buying a GPS with some good topo maps since I couldn't seem to find one to try on my Android that actually worked good, but Amazon surprised me by giving me $25 worth of credits good for their app store. I purchased an app called 'US Topo Maps Pro' and I have been impressed so far. I had used the free version of the same app some time ago, but the free version was lacking a few features I really needed. I think the biggest things that I like about the app are that I can download a variety of maps to my SD card while I'm on a wifi network, so that I can use them when I lose network coverage out in the sticks; it also has a historical United States topo map with a Forest Service property overlay on it; and I can set waypoints, too. I have heard many good things about an Android app called 'Backcountry Navigator' or something like that, and I was hoping to someday give it a try, but Amazon doesn't have it in their app store right now - and since I'm not in dire need of a GPS app at the moment - I probably won't be buying it on my own anytime soon!

Last edited:

GoldDiggerDon

Greenie
Apr 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do any of these apps mentioned work offline. I need a gps program that work without a data connection. As where i go you can not find a signal all the time.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do any of these apps mentioned work offline. I need a gps program that work without a data connection. As where i go you can not find a signal all the time.

Back Country Navigator works offline. The Pro version is my favorite.
Really, any of them should but you have to download map tiles beforehand.
GPS is independent of cell coverage.

tcmcauley1271

Greenie
May 31, 2020
Oak Ridge, TN
Detector(s) used
Just bought my Garrett AT Max. Going to play with the settings this winter and get out this spring into East Tennessee.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Polaris Navigation. It's free and available at the Google Play Store. It's very easy to use and seems towork very well.
I am downloading it now and going to give it a try.

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow old thread, LOL. I've used GPS Waypoints Navigator by Disciple Skies for years now & it's the best!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread