When will a metal detector manufacturer add a gps to their machines?

A

AlFu

It seems like a plausible adaptation in my opinion. Take a close look at the White's V3I with its' full color screen. The next step should be to incorporate a gps system into a detector. Every time a good target has been recovered, a waypoint could be created with a simple press of a button. A usb port or a slot for a micro sd card could be the catalyst used to transfer your waypoints to a mapping program on your pc. Then you would have a more detailed account of where items have been recovered. The military applications speak for themselves. Can anyone say minefields? Police and CSI investigators would be able to map out crime scenes.

What do you all think about it? Doesn't it make sense to carry as less as possible when you're out in the field? By having your gps integrated into your metal detector, it's one less thing to carry and possibly lose.

H.H.

Al

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you can develop a small one and some brackets to fit any machine out there and make a few million. Would be a great idea for some of us. On the lighter side if you get too busy with making all that money just post us your hunting sites and we will help you out. :)

OP
OP
A

AlFu

bluehunter1973 said:
maybe you can develop a small one and some brackets to fit any machine out there and make a few million. Would be a great idea for some of us. On the lighter side if you get too busy with making all that money just post us your hunting sites and we will help you out. :)

I'll bet you all would too!

A bracket for attaching a gps to your machine is alright but, it would have to be some sort of a universal devise that would need to be able to adapt to all types of gps units. Plus there is the extra weight factor as well. It makes more sense to integrate a gps electronically within the metal detectors themselves. I mean the actual components are very small today. Heck, how many smartphones have gps capabilities now? My point is, the technology is there and the costs are low enough. It should happen in my opinion.

H.H

Al

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just see "info overload" when I think of a GPS automatically assigning coordinates. Then you must separate what you want from what you need. That puts you worse off than just turning one on (they are battery hogs) when needed. TTC

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think it would to big of a problem i dont know how many people would want to save the exact location they found one item. I can see saving a certain area of interest and matching to a metal detector would not be hard. My wife has a degree in GIS which is all the global mapping you see today. I just think only a small few would benefit.

OP
OP
A

AlFu

TerryC said:
I just see "info overload" when I think of a GPS automatically assigning coordinates. Then you must separate what you want from what you need. That puts you worse off than just turning one on (they are battery hogs) when needed. TTC

I don't seem to recall saying that the gps would automatically assign coordinates. A simple waypoint saved to some sort of media format is what I am suggesting. Then use those waypoints to map where you found x,y or z. Not as much so you can remember where you were, although, naturally, you will be able to find your location again using this, it's more for mapping the items. Much like mapping a stream field from a meteor impact. I appreciate the input however. I too enjoy playing Devil's Advocate from time to time. Criticism is always acknowledged and accepted. As for battery consumption, again, look to smartphones. They run gps systems with very little strain to the power supply. In my opinion, the benefits out weight the negativity.

H.H.

Al

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was not trying to be negative in any fashion i feel your idea is exceptional at the least. I feel very few of us who actually know the importance of having that on our equipment would benefit greatly. A lot of people out there just would not use the feature. I think you should pitch this to a few of the manufacturers and get their opinion maybe give you a large thank you for the input.

OP
OP
A

AlFu

bluehunter1973 said:
Was not trying to be negative in any fashion i feel your idea is exceptional at the least. I feel very few of us who actually know the importance of having that on our equipment would benefit greatly. A lot of people out there just would not use the feature. I think you should pitch this to a few of the manufacturers and get their opinion maybe give you a large thank you for the input.

No offense taken Blue. Thanks for the tip about pitching the idea. I was trying to see what others had to say about it before I make a step like that.

H.H.

Al

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alfu, sorry about the misunderstanding. I thought you ment using the "bread crumb" feature of a GPS. I fully agree that the GPS in the field is GREAT. (I don't leave home without one). As suggested above, take the idea to the makers and see what becomes of it. If they don't use your idea they may give you the reason they don't... won't put them onto/into detectors. Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
A

AlFu

TerryC said:
Alfu, sorry about the misunderstanding. I thought you ment using the "bread crumb" feature of a GPS. I fully agree that the GPS in the field is GREAT. (I don't leave home without one). As suggested above, take the idea to the makers and see what becomes of it. If they don't use your idea they may give you the reason they don't... won't put them onto/into detectors. Tnx. TTC
Thanks. The worse they can say is no. I may post this question again in a more active section of T-Net just to see how others feel about it.

H.H.

Al

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, a waypoint IS a set of coordinates.

Second, GPS aren't accurate enough for something like this. There are a lot of variables that affect accuracy. Finding a 100x100 house lot is one thing, where you dug the barber dime in the corn field is totally different. That waypoint you mark today may be 30 feet north tomorrow, or 20 feet east the next.

Third, that's just more weight and expense to add to an already expensive detector.

OP
OP
A

AlFu

Jason in Enid said:
First, a waypoint IS a set of coordinates.

Second, GPS aren't accurate enough for something like this. There are a lot of variables that affect accuracy. Finding a 100x100 house lot is one thing, where you dug the barber dime in the corn field is totally different. That waypoint you mark today may be 30 feet north tomorrow, or 20 feet east the next.

Third, that's just more weight and expense to add to an already expensive detector.

Great points. Thanks for your insight.

H.H.

Al

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think adding the weight, cost, or battery drain added to a metal detector would be beneficial. In this day and age you can buy a pretty good GPS at a decent price that clips to your belt, or pocket, or even download an app for your phone that allows you to add waypoints with ease.
Then go home and punch those coordinates into google earth and write whatever you want on it.

I just downloaded an app to my android phone called Backcountry navigator and have only played with it a little bit so far, it seems to work really well, but it also seems to be bad for my battery life.

OP
OP
A

AlFu

Twisted One said:
I don't think adding the weight, cost, or battery drain added to a metal detector would be beneficial. In this day and age you can buy a pretty good GPS at a decent price that clips to your belt, or pocket, or even download an app for your phone that allows you to add waypoints with ease.
Then go home and punch those coordinates into google earth and write whatever you want on it.

I just downloaded an app to my android phone called Backcountry navigator and have only played with it a little bit so far, it seems to work really well, but it also seems to be bad for my battery life.
All good points. Thanks.

H.H.

Al

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who uses his hand held GPS while detecting. Labels the finds, saves the locations then downloads the days activity to his computer. Plots the days finds and saves the file.

Two points he does this already, seems easy. Second point he is 1 out of about 50 detectorists I know.

It would be a gadget, fun maybe, but not needed by most and feared by a few.

I would like a clock/alarm feature on a detector, set it and a tone goes off in your headphones. I do not hear my watch or phone alarm sometimes.

Ed D.

OP
OP
A

AlFu

Born2Dtect said:
I know a guy who uses his hand held GPS while detecting. Labels the finds, saves the locations then downloads the days activity to his computer. Plots the days finds and saves the file.

Two points he does this already, seems easy. Second point he is 1 out of about 50 detectorists I know.

It would be a gadget, fun maybe, but not needed by most and feared by a few.

I would like a clock/alarm feature on a detector, set it and a tone goes off in your headphones. I do not hear my watch or phone alarm sometimes.

Ed D.
A fantastic idea! Yes. The gps in a detector would be good for some people and for curtain situations but for the most part, it's not sounding like something folks would want.

H.H.

Al

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great to see we all have pros and cons of course i dont care about extra weight thats why if i could add a feature it wood be a coffee pot.

OP
OP
A

AlFu

bluehunter1973 said:
Its great to see we all have pros and cons of course i dont care about extra weight thats why if i could add a feature it wood be a coffee pot.

A coffee pot?! Heck... I want a spot to hold my flask! Anyone for a shot?

H.H.

Al

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:

Espresso machine, and a donut fryer you would be in business. I want a backhoe attachment too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread