Great software find...make old maps trackable on your phone

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this on another site and thought it was worthy of sharing. This FREE software enables you to create hi-res scans or pics of old maps that can be downloaded to your mobile device with realtime GPS functionality.

Maprika homepage.

Here is a tutorial that I found helpful.

Couple of points worth mentioning up front...first,finished map is stored on a server and therefore is NOT private and can be viewed by any registered user. Geo-referencing points used to create map initially do NOT show up on finished map, so you don't have to worry about giving up specific "secret" spots.

second, I didn't think it was made clear at all...in order to create an account, which allows you to upload your map, then download to your device...you must first download any existing map, then click "my profile" and register with email address and password.

Start with the highest resolution jpg or scan and take a few extra minutes to add as many reference points as you can for the absolute best results.

Though I've only used this for 2 hours in the field, I am very impressed so far.

I hope someone else finds this useful.

HH
finderskeepers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread