New Gps tracking app for the metal detectorist.

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Palm Beach County Florida
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Aquapulse AQ1B, TM-808 W/ Cave. Garrett Infinium LS, JW Fisher Pulse 8x, JW Fisher Diver Mag 1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have every chance of making it all back and then some to not have to work again. but do you really need to do it by data mining your customers personal information for some other idiotic company just to make a few bucks along the way. Why not pay your dues like every other developer with integrity for his customers. Then sit back and reap the much earned rewards. Greed is an evil that will lead you to ruin.

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Aquapulse AQ1B, TM-808 W/ Cave. Garrett Infinium LS, JW Fisher Pulse 8x, JW Fisher Diver Mag 1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and when r u going to stop blowing smoke up everyones bum about your ignorance of the app permissions. You know full well they can only be set by the apps developer. Apps cannot set permissions on their own. So enough whoa is me, Im so sweet and innocent drama already. Its really insulting to thise of us that know better, and there are MANY of us.

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & MI-6, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zenman - seems like you aren't understanding the application owners replies. He contracted with a freelancer to develop an app. The owner isn't the developer and can't change anything himself. When his contracted developer can make changes to the app, the changes will assist adjust the permissions, advertising, etc.

Hopefully in the future the owner can better communicate with the developer and also receive the application for local install for the owner to go through and verify before it is released to the public via the app store.

David

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only do I understand his replies, but I can tell the difference between honesty and smoke blowing. I am sorry you cannot. If you truly understand what those permissions are allowing him to access on yours and anyone else's phone that app is installed on, I believe we would be having a completely different conversation. And if you hadn't noticed, I am not trashing his app, only his wolf in sheep's clothing business tactics. If it was you, would you not know before releasing the app to the public everything about it and what all it was about. After all, you would he responsible. I do not see him being responcible. There is no warning on the app store about what he "just discovered" and an apology to those who have installed it already asking them to uninstall it until he gets a corrected version out.... At least as an "honest" businessman thats what i would do. Do I really need to go on....

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a professional developer so I understand what his app, if I installed it, could do. I also understand, based on what was told by the owner why HE can't do anything about it. I couldn't tell you if he is lying but his explanation is absolutely plausible.

David

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you missed the very first post. Maybe you should re-read it then get back to the conversation The complaints / concerns have been voiced since May 21st. Do you see anywhere, anything has been done by him to let his customers know what was discovered ? Anywhere here or on the playstore ?

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owner indicated the developer he was using was unable to work on the program. The owner has replied indicating he will request the developer address it. I'm not sure what you mean about the first post beyond your apparent incorrect assumption that "he made it" means he coded it. He's said multiple times in the thread that his developer, who he has never met, was unable to work on the application. My company makes lots of software applications, many of which (specifically phone apps) are developed by 3rd parties we contract with.

I just took a look on the Play store and the app reports it was updated today (6/7). If I click on Install it shows the permissions. The only permission difference between the free version of this app and the Minelab app is this app indicates "read phone status and identity". Otherwise the permissions match the Minelab app. The pay version of the app which doesn't report as being updated today doesn't have the phone status permission. I don't know if there were other permissions the previous build of the free app required that were removed. As far as I'm aware there is nothing malicious that could occur with the info retrieved with that permission. It's typically a way to gather a unique id that can be used to keep track of usage or with some advertising which is rather normal.

Since I didn't install the previous release I can't comment on what changes were made in this current build.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Tect O Trak
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Zenman. You really have me all wrong. You will see that I'm genuine. Watch this space. :) As for making money from this app. that will never happen. The numbers are much too small. The app is actually free. There's no need to 'Go Pro' as it can be used over and over. A lite user is only losing out on his permanent history. If I was interested in money, there would be no saves! Any money generated will go towards developing the app further.

@ GeekNJ. Thank you for your voice of reason, and taking the time to check the app out. Those permissions are a bit of of a bugbear. They often sound worse than they are. For example, one of the permissions on Tect O Trak is to 'Allow the camera to take photos without users permission! ??? When I questioned this, it turned out it's because the torch uses the cameras flash, so it requires the camera permission. I have actually been toying with the idea of removing the torch because of that very permission. I thought it might be a useful addition, but now I'm wondering if its worth the warning flag it generates.

Here's an update..

My coder finally did resurface yesterday at about 2am his time, and told me that he had removed the adware as instructed. So thats sorted!! It will revert to being ad free as was always my vision :)

However... In his haste, he has buggered something up, and now it won't start properly. He's also unavailable again today, :( as he needs to make a return visit to the hospital. I have unpublished it for now until its fixed. (Hopefully you can't download it. If you can, DON'T! ) I will make a post when its ready. Tomorrow ( Sat) hopefully.

Dang .. its been very frustrating these last few weeks for me. Things were ticking along quite nicely, I didn't even know there had been an update at first. As the developer, I have the apk straight from the coder. Google play doesn't realise I have it installed and doesn't offer me an update.

With some embarresment, I have to say that I have misunderstood the addition of Facebook to ToT lite. ( I didn't ask for it, but my coder thought it was a good idea:dontknow:)
It's not fully integrated as I stated in a previous post, but merely a marketing tool to try and give the app better exposure. By sharing the app on Facebook, it gives you an extra search area save, giving you 3 in total. Once again, I am unsure about this, but I will give it a try. My own opinion is that 'teckies' wouldnt be into Facebook, I know I'm not/wasn't. I also think it is responsible for most of the permissions Zenman was questioning. Once again.. Is it worth the scary sounding permissions ???

I'm outta time.. <-- ( A great song by Oasis. Check it out. :))
I will keep you posted ,

Cheers,
Wormslayer

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's alive!

I'm pleased to announce that ads have now been removed (good riddance!) and I have republished the app.:thumbsup:

Just FYI..
There are 421 Lite users, and 39 Pro users worldwide. USA, UK, Australia, Russia, Sweden, Canada and Turkey repectively have the highest number of users. Out of them, only a handful of people have left any sort of comment. If you do decide to try it out, PLEASE let me/us know what you think. Good or bad. It would be very helpful.

You can get it here:- https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....tectotraklite

Be lucky,
Wormslayer.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I just thought i'd let you know that there has been a major update to Tect O Trak. I have introduced multicolour tracks. This helps the user to differentiate between previous visits to the same search area. I've also added a 'Find' camera, a general camera, and gallery.

SSPS.jpg

There is no update to the demo at the moment, but there should be one within the next few weeks.

I hope you like the changes.8-)

Cheers,

Wormslayer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi ,

Sorry Jim but there isn't an Iphone version available yet. I do have every intention of making one, but I am just a regular detectorist like yourself. I developed the android version first because that's the phone I have. I was hoping enough people would support it to help me pay for the Iphone version, but it hasn't happened. There are 620 free users and 59 pro users. Our chosen hobby is a bit specialized and the numbers don't stack up to make it worthwhile.

However...

You are the umpteenth person to ask about the Iphone version, and you have got me thinking.. :icon_scratch: And I have come up with a plan.. Crowd funding!

I hope you don't mind me running this idea by you. ( you started it..)

What if I sold TOT on Ebay! I need to raise about $750. What if I sold 750 units on ebay for $1 dollar each but the delivery date is set for 3 months time or by a certain date after the last unit is sold? If I don't/can't deliver then every one would get their dollar refunded by ebay!
The only thing at risk would be my valuable and much loved ebay account.

Would you support something like that? Its just an idea. I would love to see an Iphone version. I think it would be even better than the android, I know it would certainly look better! but I am not in the position to fund it myself atm.

Let me know what you think . Even if I cant do it that way, I really do hope that one day there there will be an Iphone version. So don't give up hope!

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,

Sorry Jim but there isn't an Iphone version available yet. I do have every intention of making one, but I am just a regular detectorist like yourself. I developed the android version first because that's the phone I have. I was hoping enough people would support it to help me pay for the Iphone version, but it hasn't happened. There are 620 free users and 59 pro users. Our chosen hobby is a bit specialized and the numbers don't stack up to make it worthwhile.

However...

You are the umpteenth person to ask about the Iphone version, and you have got me thinking.. :icon_scratch: And I have come up with a plan.. Crowd funding!

I hope you don't mind me running this idea by you. ( you started it..)

What if I sold TOT on Ebay! I need to raise about $750. What if I sold 750 units on ebay for $1 dollar each but the delivery date is set for 3 months time or by a certain date after the last unit is sold? If I don't/can't deliver then every one would get their dollar refunded by ebay!
The only thing at risk would be my valuable and much coveted ebay account.

Would you support something like that? Its just an idea. I would love to see an Iphone version. I think it would be even better than the android, I know it would certainly look better! but I am not in the position to fund it myself atm.

Let me know what you think . Even if I cant do it that way, I really do hope that one day there there will be an Iphone version. So don't give up hope!

Regards,

Mark.
I dont have an iPhone but I use the free versión when I dont have my gps or If im just out & about id be in on ur plan for the eBay thing

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Christo,

Long time!

Hope you had a good summer.
Thanks for your continued support :thumbsup:

Be lucky,

Wormslayer.

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & XP Deus with a Whites TRX and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt be opposed to paying for an iphone version. A friend of mine made an app and within a month of making the iphone app for 0.99 USD and had enough to buy a motorcycle within two months. I would just make a pro-version. Because of the need for an app like this I think people would spend 1.99 USD maybe even 2.99 US. I know I would.

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you back up a few posts you will see that there was an update for the pro version in Oct.

There will a further and final update on or by the 12th Jan There will also be an update to the demo. It will be the same as the pro version but limited to 1 color tracking and only 2 search area saves

As for the app itself, Atm There are 680 Demo users and 62 pro users/supporters, which is not a lot after almost a year. :( It seems that quite a few people are hung up about pinpoint accuracy (Star Trek style lock on doesn't exist yet :laughing7: ) and are totally missing what this app can do and is useful for.:BangHead: Oh well, as a metal detectorist myself, I think its a great app. It has proved very useful in keeping track of the areas I've covered, and showing me areas I haven't been. It will really be useful next year when the two farms I detect on open up again. This year I did it properly, and searched like I meant business. I was very disciplined and have started to methodically search each field. I will know exactly where I got up to.

As for the Iphone version, all i can say is that it will happen when it happens :( Funds are low atm :icon_pale: The Ebay idea i had to raise the funds isn't really feasible, so I don't know.. :(

Well you did ask :)

Be lucky!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can vouge for it both actually I've used the free for a while aswell as pro version they are pretty good especially if u relic hunt or go to a,big spot turn it on & u can see when ur done where you were & where you weren't to see what's left.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I have the software installed. I have set all markers of my yard, I have finalized, and have clicked on Start tracking. I have walked the outer edge of of my yard but I do not see any markers being marked as I walk. What am I missing, or does it take time for the track to appear?

OP
OP
Wormslayer

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you turn on GPS? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread