Going to make life easier on me and purchase a handheld GPS
unit for marking my farm field and other "Hot Spots".. Any Ideas
which would be a Good unit that I can down load
topos, and what ever else I may need.. I have no Idea what to
look for and would rather hear from someone who has already
learned what is needed....Money doesn't matter
as I would rather spend it once, rather finding out down the road
I wished that I would have purchased a more expensive model because
of the needed options that make it easier and more productive...
Thanks Guy's,
Doug

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like the Garmin GPSMAP series, the stc is nice because of the camera but I recently replaced mine with a Delorme PN60w because I needed the Inreach satellite locator. The Delorme has been good so far but takes a little getting used to if you've been using a Garmin. The only bad thing is I don't think you can get extra free maps for it but the Delorme map pack subscription is cheap and the maps are really good. I'm still learning how to use it.

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use Garmin GPSMAP which is pretty good!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the garmin 550 and havent been able to afford the maps. I cant say enough about this little device. It is one way to not get lost and now Im able to gp back to the exact spot. I can hook this baby up and see on basecamp where each picture was taken or my entrance and exit routes. I dinged the screen the first day so not happy with that, but it is a great unit. The only map I can find for it is $129.00 dollars. Is there any a little more affordable? Oh heres a plus, I went to a old mine site this weekend, and it had the mines already in the gps, now that was helpful.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have a Garmin. They are one of the first brands you think of when discussing GPSr. Having said that, in today's market it is hard to find a bad one. All the major players make good receivers these days and the only thing holding you back is making the decisions on what you want it to do for you and how you are going to use it. My little etrex is perfect for marking waypoints, hiking and navigating through terrain but you probably wouldn't chose it if you were going to use it to drive to locations, though you could and I have. You really need to spend a little time educating yourself or at least stopping in the store and asking questions. Most dealers will guide you to what you are looking for easily and quickly. Good luck and happy hunting.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The original poster probably already made his choice and moved on, I'll throw in my penny and a half anyway. I develop software and mapping for GPS as so I have a little different perspective. I have owned tested and written software for just about every brand made. Garmin is the best of the commercial level GPS units hands down.

That doesn't mean that Garmin is perfect or that they will fit every users needs. They probably don't have the best pre-made maps. They don't generally have all the bells and whistles of some of the more expensive units. It does mean that they have the most reliable most accessible handheld units today.

The other GPS makers flip flop so much from model to model on their operating software that you can't depend on them reliably working with different computers or mapping programs or even with other units made by the same manufacturer. This may not seem to be such a big deal until you discover those new maps or that cool map program you just bought won't work with your GPS unit. The Garmin software is industry standard and will communicate with any other device.

Accuracy and ability to lock on to and keep satellites in the array is one of the most critical functions for a GPS. Garmins are very good at that. The most expensive GPS handhelds today (another brand I won't mention) really fail badly in that respect. Slow lock ons and intermittent satellite connections will leave you lost and alone just when you need your GPS.

I prefer the older style button type Garmins like the eTrex line. The ability to operate the unit from the same hand I'm holding it with is very useful while hiking or ATVing. The smaller screens on these units make for the best battery life also. For me the ability to add other map sets or data by means of the SD card slot is really important too. The larger touch screens require two handed operation and larger screens mean significantly shorter battery life.

Just my experience. I hope that helps.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still cant figure out basecamp software let alone add coordinates or create tracks for later overlay later. But I know it will do it. I do like the Garmin. But damage the screen already. Not a easy fix.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't do any mapping, I just want to be able to roam and explore the deep woods without fear of getting lost. I had a Garmin etrex which was OK for this purpose, but
unfortunately I lost it while out detecting ( I had it attached to my belt by velcro and it didn't stay put)
I just got a Garmin Foretrex 301 which is a basic waypoint marking and back tracking GPS unit which is worn on the wrist. This is more convenient and can't be lost.
This is the unit preferred by the military. Cost is under $140. It can be used for marking and naming homesites found during hikes so you can return later.
The unit is very uncomplicated which is how I want it,
relicmeister

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased the Garmin GPSMAP 64st. I am happy with it so far. I had the original etrex and have the Dezl 705. While I am still learning the unit I think it is well made and serves its purpose.

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a shakedown period I discovered a few problems. If you are using the GPS just to mark your finds it will be fine. However there are problems with the tracking feature. The GPS seems to think you are moving even when it is perfectly still. It adds distance to your track. Apparently a known issue for quite some time that was never corrected.
Also the map that comes with the GOSMAP 64st (100K) is not routable. So if you intend to use the GPS for biking or automotive purposes it will not route you to a waypoint or POI. If I had known this I would have purchased the 64s and purchased the 24K map. It is routable and has more detail. The worst part is I asked a Garmin customer service rep and he told me there is no difference between the 24K and the 100K map. WRONG. Also the salesman at REI told me the same thing. My fault for not doing more research before I bought it. I will advise any other issues although I hope there are none.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread