relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might want to repost this in Metal Detecting forum whereit will get more notice,\
I don't have any experience with this myself and I'm not that advanced with digital applications. I would almost prefer a manual method like projection or tracings.
Hopw you get the advice you seek

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, if you have google earth installed on your computer this is how I do it: First, scan or take a digital pic of the map you want to overlay, then load it onto the computer. zoom your GE map to the area of your overlay. click on "add" at the top left, then select "image overlay" from the drop down. it will open a dialog box, use the "browse" button to select the image on your computer that you want to overlay. Then you can change its transparency level. The green square around the image lets you move, rotate and re-size. Every time you re-size you need to re-check your placement.

one last tip, the resizing is NOT constrained to original dimensions. It's more like it lets you stretch and compress it up/down and left/right independent of each other.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Does anyone know how to overlay a historical map? Are there any that are free? I have tried using google earth and historical mapworks but I just keep getting a big red X. I am trying to do the lacrosse Wisconsin area.

Have you had luck? Jason in Enid gave good instructions but if you still need help me know.

hpridal

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do it this way with MapTiler (is so far the easiest I found):

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions