PSA - Google Maps "offline mode"

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen a bunch of apps & devices being listed here to do various things so I just wanted to add something to the conversation. You can download maps on Google maps in advance for offline use. Your GPS continues to work even if your phone is in airplane mode & the maps are the same as you'd normally see, you can even get driving directions without an internet connection.

You can save any map for later use. I used this when I backpacked the JMT (220 miles through the sierra) and it accurately picked up my location & plotted it despite not having internet/cell access for 17 days. In my case I had most of the sierra range downloaded to my phone for offline use. Was mostly using standard paper topo maps for navigation but it sure was helpful in a couple situations where I was questioning which direction I needed to head.

Directions here: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838

Just wanted to put it out there, it's an extremely useful feature but I feel like very few people have heard of this functionality. Give it a shot some time - I'd never bring a garmin, etc. with me again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread