Need Help Choosing a Handheld GPS. Suggestions will be Appreciated.. Thanks.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im considering purchasing a handheld GPS, and due to there being so many to choose from, im not sure where to start.
I enjoy looking at google earth and topo maps on my laptop, but i do not wish to buy a smartphone.

Im kind of considering Garmin, due to their reputation, but i really dont know much about portable GPS systems.
I used a friends old one one time, and it helped me find my way back, but it was just the arrow and lines type.
Id really like to have one with a detailed color screen similar to google earth, so i can scroll around and look at terrains.

I think it would be nice to have one for trekking deep into the woods while exploring a new unknown area.
Normally when i do this i have to look at a map and take a mental snapshot before i leave the house.
Sometimes i tend to make way points, or just not go too far, but there have been a few times where i felt lost for a bit.

Was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. Im looking for something around the 200 dollar range. Give or take a little.
I would prefer something with good graphics, waterproof, color screen, and the ability to view topo elevations.
Maybe something that has memory, or a memory slot. Not sure it will be neccessary for what im doing, but it would be nice to update or upgrade maps/softwares.

I dont need all the fancy bells and whistles that some of the GPS's might have, and i will most likely just be hiking in the woods in South MS, AL, or LA by myself.
The one thing that is most important for me is a nice, detailed, color screen, that is Similar to google earth images.

Any suggestions??

Thanks..

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well maybe i posted this thread in the wrong section, or maybe this section doesnt get much traffic, similar to the States sections.
I have to admit though that it has had around 100 views, and no comments is a little disappointing.

So far i am considering the Garmin Etrex 30x or the Garmin GPSmap 64st.
Ive done a little reading on these two.

From what i understand/read per garmins website, in order to get detailed images you need to have the birdseye subscription for $30 every year.
You will have to import maps/areas of maps onto the device using birdseye Hi vis imagery.??

Im leaning towards getting one that comes with the TOPO 100k and a 1 yr birdseye bundle.

On the other hand, i am also starting to shy away from the desire to have detailed imagery.
It seems like it will be costly and maybe a little more complicated than i expected.

I could Rant on and on about this.

So... Does anyone have any experience with the Etrex 30x, the GPSmap 64st, or the Birdseye hi vis imagery?? and if so, would you care to comment???

Thanks

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Been doing the same research as you , Bonepicker and could ALSO use some guidance from some members.
With my eyesight ageing, I would prefer a dual use , car/hike unit with a bit larger screen like the Montana or Oregon, both upgradable. MY ISSUE is it must stand alone as I don't own a laptop/desktop to download from. Some input would be welcome to us please.
....Mark.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 Garmin 60 CSX's they are great. I use them trail riding also. Never had any problems with them. They all have life time street maps and the topo maps on all of them

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've have a Garmin GPSMap 76 CSx that I use for geocaching, fishing from my kayak, and recording places of interest. It is a discontinued unit but still works very well. While I do have a smart phone, I sometimes find it less stressful to use the GPS as I don't have to worry about the fragile screen on the phone. Also, it is easy to manage wayponts with EasyGPS software.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bonepicker... why not just get an app for your phone? Handheld gps seems like just one more thing to keep up with. Course.... I'm not real smart.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BP,

As I told Melton13 in a similar post, I'm a Louisiana State Game Warden and I use the Garmin Montana 650. I bought it because the state issue handheld GPS was the Garmin 76, which I think has been discontinued by Garmin, anyhow I'm extremely pleased with the Montana 650, it does everything I need it to do plus more. Not sure if it's what your looking for, but you can check it out on Garmin's website...

"D"

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BP,

As I told Melton13 in a similar post, I'm a Louisiana State Game Warden and I use the Garmin Montana 650. I bought it because the state issue handheld GPS was the Garmin 76, which I think has been discontinued by Garmin, anyhow I'm extremely pleased with the Montana 650, it does everything I need it to do plus more. Not sure if it's what your looking for, but you can check it out on Garmin's website...

"D"
Thanks Possum. This is an old thread, but I never did purchase a GPS. I will check out the Montana 650.
Been hunting construction sites most times lately, but I need to get back into doing some exploring out in the wilderness.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been dragging an old Magellan Explorist 310 for quite awhile. Never a problem with it and I liked that it worked with the TOPO! maps since I think I own them all. Got a Garmin 650t as a gift. Good little unit once you get used to it. Camera to boot! You can get maps on a chip too. The bundled mapping software is sort of clunky. I like being able to connect to a laptop to set way points as you go when out in the boonies & the bigger laptop screen is easier on these old eueballs. Check out Craigs list too! Been seeing a lot of people selling them with maps cables etc cheap!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread