I need an IPhone GPS App for in the woods, help?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Can anyone recommend a simple GPS App that is not wifi based that I can get for my IPhone for when I go into the deep woods. Just looking for something that I can set a start point and be able to back track later on in the day. Does not have to be free but at least cheap. Secondary feature of Topo would be nice but not critical.

Since I carry my IPhone figured I could avoid having to carry my old hand held Magellan GPS to keep from getting lost.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just loaded it. Exactly what the Dr ordered thanks. Comes with 2 different Topo maps and one satellite. I can even use this on the occasional trips to Taiwan too. Well worth the cost.

Wormslayer

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Garrett Pro pointer, Tect O Trak
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience as a gps app developer and user, iPhone gps is not very good in woods. In my opinion, Iphone loses gps lock far too easily when there's any type of cover. even close proximity to buildings can throw it off. I can tell you this though ... When iOS GPS is working well, its consistently more accurate than Android, but overall, Android is more stable and reliable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread