Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone,

My family and I are currently up grading from the Garmin Edge 605. For some crazy reason when it comes to tech such as this I always get stuck with having to pick. Even though I am make it very clear that I have no idea where to start.

So I figured that since I have gotten and witnessed so much great information from here that I Tnet members could offer yet gain some great advice from many perspectives.

So here it is, you folks pick for us.

I have narrowed it down to the 2 units to pick from, the Garmin Edge 1000 and the Garmin Edge Explore 1000.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/134491

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/522791

The types of activities we are using the devices in are cycling (city, trail, mountain bike and bike expeditions that include velomobile street and bush running), hiking and, points of interest marking for future MDing.

My first issue is I can not see a difference between the two really; at one store the Edge 1000 is 100 Euro more expensive than the Edge Explore 1000, at another store it is the other way around, Garmin site does not really have much information to offer either, internet searches on prices are the same as the stores.

So does anyone here have any experience with either device? Does anyone here have any sound advice about the devices? Really important, does anyone here have any rants or negativity to offer about the devices?

Last thing, in case the question is out there, I have picked these two devices to pick from because they are an upgrade from what we are currently using by far, we have always used Garmin and it is the most familiar to us and the Roll Over America committee recommends either one of these for all of Europe, Scandinavian nations, North Africa but also North America, as well as Great Divide organizers. Yet when I email those people and ask why the response is basically just because. I sort of need more than a just because before purchasing 4 of these units.

Thank you all for your time and have a great day.

Kind Regards,

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Delorme products

I'm using a Delorme PN 20 With Delorme Topo 6.0 software. The PN 20 lets me do fairly accurate land surveys. I can create quality USGS maps and print them from my computer. I paid 400 dollars for my Delorme PN 20. Now they are $50. The newer PN60 has satellite 911 and one way texting. They are about $400 new. I have a Delorme Earthmate USB GPS receiver. It makes my laptop a huge GPS! Plugs into a USB port and sits on the dash of the car.

Delorme was recently bought out by Garmin. I am no affiliated with Delorme/Garmin. I just actually use their products.

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Eart...8&qid=1495233851&sr=8-1&keywords=delorme+pn20

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread