relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunt the woods more than anywhere else seeking colonial artifacts and colonial homesites to hunt. I have had several models of the garmin Foretrex gps but I would still experience anxiety when I would be several hundred feet from my waypoint and be getting erratic compass readings. Because of this I would never go too far or where I couldn’t follow a trail or creek or hear the nearest road, and I’d like to go anywhere that looks interesting and not worry. ( my sense of direction is horrible)

I looked into other gos units and got a used garmin Oregon 550t and afternoon using one time it was a game changer. The Oregon has many features the foretrex lacks. I also got ( used) 24k Topo map on micro sd covering the northeast US.

Although I really like it it seemed a little slow and took longer than expected to acquire satellites, and the touch screen was not great for response. So I saw how improved the latest model the 700 series are and found a good price for a new Oregon 750. It is the most advanced and accurate available with extra features like radar weather,
Many things that will increase my chances of finding sites and relics. I got the model without Topo basemap because I’m getting the more detailed 24k NE maps. It does have a great camera which geotags every photo which is useful.

I’m looking forward to greatly expanding my hunting area free of anxiety over getting lost and confident to explore

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
We have been using Garmin for years for geocaching. On one of my older units the map would show the cracker crumb trail I could follow back to the start. Now we just mark the car location or stream and trail crossings to get out. Last rule of thumb... if lost follow a stream. They all lead to civilization.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i always have a real compass ,just in case.
brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread